DH/Flex in Lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Thank you TMIB/YFNU - b/c I was also misinterpreting F1 as "Flex 1", and not the position #.

Not necessarily related to the DP/Flex, but "AP" is also used on the lineup cards for "Additional Player" when batting more than 9.

Back to DP/Flex - I initially thought these two previous posts conflicted with each other [my emphasis]:

Are the following statements accurate then?
a. If you substitute the DP for the P at the plate meeting, the DP now becomes the P of record, and can have a CR in the top of the 1st.

b. The plate meeting requirement is only needed when you're visitors, b/c once the game has started, reporting the substitution (DP-->P) before the DP comes to bat does not make her the P of record (and therefore is ineligible for a CR).

c. This strategy is most suitable when you have a solid starting 9, but may need to insert a weaker hitting sub later in the game.
a. Yes
b. Can't quite figure out what you mean, but if the intention if for the DP to enter on defense in the 1st inning it should be noted as a change to the lineup in the plate meeting regardless home/visitor.
c.Yes, in my view.

May 29, 2015
You don't mean actual position, right (as in F3, F4, etc)? Players are free to switch positions on the field at any point.

Spot -- whatever position that is on the field. If the flex is not on the field but the DP is, the DP occupies the flex's spot (wherever that may be) and the flex has left the game.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
The DP can play defense for the flex (the flex has left the game) or any of the other 8 players, which is to say anyone. I guess we're saying the same thing but I just don't see them being linked on defense in any way.

I believe we are saying the same thing, but maybe "linked" might not be the best word for me to use ... Without the FLEX, the DP doesn't exist and vice versa, as in the description in 3 - 6 referring to this as the "DP/FLEX option" ... To make certain we know that what the DP is doing is legal, we always have to know where the FLEX is.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812