Fielders choice or hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
FC does not require an out to be made. However, if an out is made on any other runner than the BR, it is a FC, regardless of whether it would have been a hit for the batter if the out had not been made.

An exception would be if a BR is thrown out when there’s no force. Ie trying to score from second and CF guns her down.

May 23, 2015
Would the losing footing make it an error?
No errors are misplays only. Mental errors are not errors. 6 gets a routine, pops her glove a few time, throws to first and is safe. Its a hit. 6 decided to not throw the ball. Not an error. 6 fields the ball clean and slips not an error

May 23, 2015
Not if she had her on a good throw, though Right?
That doesn't matter. The fielder still has to throw the ball. She fields it cleanly, has time, slips and then throws late allowing the batter to be safe at 1B. Thats a hit. If she slips and the ball is overthrown and she goes to second its a hit + error on the throw because the runner advanced

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
A fielder's choice is not dependent on whether the preceding runner attempt resulted in an out or not, but on where the throw goes.
I am torn. Do I think honestly it was a hit? No! I would just put it down as an FC (failed) without a hit.

No out was recorded. It was really rather routine. In any out situation you would want to make the short throw if possible even with 2 outs (I don't know the out situation), but with less than 2 outs you would definitely want the lead runner!

The 2B, as RADcatcher said was really the one at fault. Perhaps because she has learned only to push-back from 2B instead of learning an alternative cross-over. The SS didn't make a disastrous play or an error. She lost her balance because she got caught between fielding it in front of her, and doing a backhand. That may have happened because mid play she decided that 2B was her best option. Don't know. But she would have gotten an out at 2B if the 2B had done her job. Have you ever seen Andrelton Simmons make a similar play; Javy Baez? Yes! I think the SS might have been able to get up and throw to 1B and get an out, but it wasn't the sensible throw. The throw to 2B was about as perfect as you would expect. It was really a coverage issue. How do you give the 2B an error on coverage? Do you give a catcher an error on a weak throw on a steal play?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
To the OP

If the girl was out at 2nd it would have had to be a FC.

Since she was safe you then have to determine if the the batter would have likely been out if the threw to first. Since she was on her knees
fielding the ball it seems unlikely she would have thrown her out.

The fact that she might not have taken the right angle or could have backhanded have no bearing on how it's scored.

An FC is NOT determined by whether there is an out, nor if it was a smart play. Only by an attempt on a preceding runner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amc2221