Fielders choice or hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Could also see what looks like after catcher gave pitch sign...SS adjusted toward mid field a few steps.
Perhaps that adjustment and where the pitch location actually went attributed to how defense played this.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Could also see what looks like after catcher gave pitch sign...SS adjusted toward mid field a few steps.
Perhaps that adjustment and where the pitch location actually went attributed to how defense played this.
Had same observation but ended up wondering if that was her normal setup routine. Also ended up wondering if the SS was a pickup player and 2nd had never had a ball thrown to her before on a ground ball in the 5-6 hole.

May 16, 2016

SS was cheating over to cover 2nd on the steal... not adjusting to pitch call.

In the heat of the game, I'm probably scoring this an E6. Given the luxury of watching it on YouTube 5 or 6 times, maybe I score it a FC.

Jun 11, 2013
If you want to score correctly there is no change there is an error on the play. If you believe that it's normal effort for a SS to throw to 1st from her knees you can score it a FC if not it's a hit.

Scoring often isn't fair. You can hit a popup that both OF should catch but both pull of an get a double. The next time you can hit one off the fence but have the kids from 1st trip and get thrown out at 2nd and it's a FC.

I've always felt there should be team errors built into scoring but there isn't yet.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
SS was cheating over to cover 2nd on the steal... not adjusting to pitch call.

In the heat of the game, I'm probably scoring this an E6. Given the luxury of watching it on YouTube 5 or 6 times, maybe I score it a FC.
Maybe 2nd base should have cheated toward 2nd for a possible play there?

General question
Do people usually score slipping into an error?
SS made the play.
2nd base was late.

If we look at where the batter is when ball reaches SS there could have been a play at first. Slipping or not.
Which could have resulted either an out or base hit beating throw.
But in this case the baserunner beat the 2ndbase person to the base/play.

My coaching from this video would be.
The 2nd base person needs to get there quicker!
There was no sprint mode.
The runner not sliding is indication to that.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
if you believe that it's normal effort for a SS to throw to 1st from her knees you can score it a FC if not it's a hit.

Throwing from knees is not "ordinary effort", but I don't think she had to go to her knees to field that ball. The batter was barely out of box when SS first touched ball. I wouldn't have problem with FC or E6, but no way that's a hit.

1598639871203.png

Jun 11, 2013
Throwing from knees is not "ordinary effort", but I don't think she had to go to her knees to field that ball. The batter was barely out of box when SS first touched ball. I wouldn't have problem with FC or E6, but no way that's a hit.

View attachment 19083
Except she did go to her knees in the process of fielding which may be a mistake but it's not an error. Not all hits are line drives in the gap

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amc2221