Fielders choice or hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
How should this be scored? I do the book keeping for this team. I scored it as a hit but wanted to double check. I scored it as a hit because the hit pulled the SS towards 3rd in a way she could only go to 2nd. So, in my mind, it wasn’t a choice what to do with the ball..so no fielders choice.

Feb 12, 2014
I believe Lance is correct by the letter of the rule which is why a ball sharply on the ground to CF with a force out at 2B is a FC. It sucks, but the softball gods generally return the favor for the hitter over the course of a season.

I would prefer the rule to read that a reasonable out must be turned down at 1B for a FC to apply. However, even in the play shown in the video, I think that I would have scored that as a fielder's choice. Looks like the SS was able to get in front of the ball and would have had plenty of time to make a throw to 1B.

May 23, 2015
I would prefer the rule to read that a reasonable out must be turned down at 1B for a FC to apply. However, even in the play shown in the video, I think that I would have scored that as a fielder's choice. Looks like the SS was able to get in front of the ball and would have had plenty of time to make a throw to 1B.
I wouldve called it FC also.. That is how the rule reads. If the scorer feels as if the batter would have been out, but chose to make an attempt at another bag its a FC. The end

No out has to be recorded

Jun 8, 2016
Tough one..since I think it was your kid hitting I would have given a FC.. :LOL:

SS probably needed to backhand that ball

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Shortstop going to the ground on a pretty routine ground ball, wasn't sharply hit. If backhanded cleanly it was a pretty straight forward play, at least that's my opinion for the perceived age group.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
2nd base (fielder) was late to the bag. Can see slow upright approach. Not a sprint~get there!
Watch her feet start to shuffle slowing down approaching 2nd.
Almost appears slower than the runner.
Quicker to the bag
could have extended body cross the base further.
Reaching toward ss to make it a shorter quicker play.

From this imo
On that play ss was fine.
Going for fielders choice.
*send the video to the 2nd base person as a learning tool!:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06