Fielders choice or hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So anytime the throw is not made to first it’s a FC? out or not?

Not quite. If the scorer judges that the BR would have reached 1B even if the throw was made, it's a hit. If the fielder holds the ball to prevent another player from advancing, but could have made the out at 1B, it's a FC. Scorer judgement plays a big part in this.

Feb 20, 2020
Sorry to keep asking, but what does that do to a pitcher’s stats? Does it not count as a surrendered hit? It’s not an error so it wouldn‘t effect ERA, but it’s not counted as a hit given up?

Jun 26, 2020
So anytime the throw is not made to first it’s a FC? out or not?
Fielder's choice is commonly not scored properly. At any time a fielder decides to go after another out instead of taking the batter out it's a fielders choice provided the scorer believes the batter would've been a reasonable out. A broken double play is a FC. A one hopper to 3rd and they decide to come home instead is a FC

It's in the name fielder's choice. Sorry parents the hitting stats are guaranteed to be busted

Jul 27, 2015
How should this be scored? I do the book keeping for this team. I scored it as a hit but wanted to double check. I scored it as a hit because the hit pulled the SS towards 3rd in a way she could only go to 2nd. So, in my mind, it wasn’t a choice what to do with the ball..so no fielders choice.

I would have scored it a hit.

On our old team, the GC person was, ah, interesting. Runner at first. SS drops a pop up. Picks it up and steps on second for the force out. Ruling: Error and a force out.

Runner on first. A blooper is hit right over second baseman's head. Person at first has to wait to see if it will be caught. RF picks up and gets the force at second. Ruling; Single and a force out.

One time I made the mistake of asking him about it. His thought was if no one was at first base in each of the situations above, then the plays would have been an error and a single. So it should be ruled that way. I asked what about when the SS makes a great play deep in the hole, with no chance to get a batter out at first, but gets a force out at second. Based on his logic, that should be a single and a force out, but of course he never scored those that way.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Runner on first. A blooper is hit right over second baseman's head. Person at first has to wait to see if it will be caught. RF picks up and gets the force at second.

...SS makes a great play deep in the hole, with no chance to get a batter out at first, but gets a force out at second.

Both are FC.

May 23, 2015
I would have scored it a hit.

On our old team, the GC person was, ah, interesting. Runner at first. SS drops a pop up. Picks it up and steps on second for the force out. Ruling: Error and a force out.

Runner on first. A blooper is hit right over second baseman's head. Person at first has to wait to see if it will be caught. RF picks up and gets the force at second. Ruling; Single and a force out.

One time I made the mistake of asking him about it. His thought was if no one was at first base in each of the situations above, then the plays would have been an error and a single. So it should be ruled that way. I asked what about when the SS makes a great play deep in the hole, with no chance to get a batter out at first, but gets a force out at second. Based on his logic, that should be a single and a force out, but of course he never scored those that way.
A successful forced out is always a fielders choice

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amc2221