Fielders choice or hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
An FC is NOT determined by whether there is an out, nor if it was a smart play. Only by an attempt on a preceding runner.
It is so determined. If there is an out you have no choice but to call it a FC. Since the Runner was safe you then have to determine if they would have gotten the batter at first with normal effort.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It is so determined. If there is an out you have no choice but to call it a FC. Since the Runner was safe you then have to determine if they would have gotten the batter at first with normal effort.
Attempting and getting the out on a lead runner yes FC
However,
There does not have to be an out for the play to BE determined a FC.

An FC is NOT determined by whether there is an out, nor if it was a smart play. Only by an attempt on a preceding runner.

May 23, 2015
Forced out=automatic FC
Lead Runner safe= FC IF the score keeper believes the batter would have been out IF the ball was thrown to first

The best way for scorekeepers to look at a book is like this. Did the batter help the team? If the batter helped the team they get credit, and if they didnt they get a knock on their .avg or a push. A batter has more opportunities to fail in SB and BB. Lucky! The batter must have something in the book accounting for their AB

Hit +1
BB, HBP,SAC 0
FC, FO, GO, ROE, K.... -1

Pitching an earned run= a run that the offense made (earned) without the help of the defense. FC is earned because the batter put the ball in play. Which goes back to helping the team. You personally didn't help with you stick, but you legs made up for it

Jun 11, 2013
Attempting and getting the out on a lead runner yes FC
However,
There does not have to be an out for the play to BE determined a FC.
That's what I said. I said that if there was an out it has to be a FC. If there isn't then it's up to the scorekeeper to determine .

May 23, 2015
The 2B, as RADcatcher said was really the one at fault. Perhaps because she has learned only to push-back from 2B instead of learning an alternative cross-over. The SS didn't make a disastrous play or an error. She lost her balance because she got caught between fielding it in front of her, and doing a backhand. That may have happened because mid play she decided that 2B was her best option. Don't know. But she would have gotten an out at 2B if the 2B had done her job. Have you ever seen Andrelton Simmons make a similar play; Javy Baez? Yes! I think the SS might have been able to get up and throw to 1B and get an out, but it wasn't the sensible throw. The throw to 2B was about as perfect as you would expect. It was really a coverage issue. How do you give the 2B an error on coverage? Do you give a catcher an error on a weak throw on a steal play?
All correct. 4 shouldve covered, but luckily you can't credit an error because of someone else's fault.

In scoring errors Ozzie Smith and Ozzy Osborne have 2 different skill sets, so they're graded accordingly. In a softball tournament you cant assume so scorekeepers have to find a middle ground of effort when tossing out Es.

Sun, wind, ground covered, degree of difficulty all play parts of the equation

Coaches and parents hate when i keep the book of gamechanger:giggle:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That's what I said. I said that if there was an out it has to be a FC. If there isn't then it's up to the scorekeeper to determine .
Everyones just trying to clarify!
:) found middle ground combining those posts!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
IMHO, the SS was attempting a standard play to feed to 2nd base. If her intent was to throw to 1st, she would have done a backhand. That is assuming the coaching staff finds backhand plays acceptable and am not sure they do because of the lack of fundamentals exhibited by all.

In my OMG world, I am not a fan of giving base hits on weak ground balls unless the batter/runner actually outruns a throw.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amc2221