How do you score this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2024
And this is why max prep stats are ridiculous. Either keep a real book or don’t publish them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max Preps is a great system for promoting high school sports. The fact that it links with scorekeeping apps for immediate reporting of results has done a lot for publicity and increasing fan bases in local communities, especially in states where Max Preps reporting is manditory. Stats will always be affected by the skill of the person doing the scorekeeping. Max Preps is nothing more than the vehicle that conveys information to the public. Electronic devices and online data should never be the official record of a game. That should be reserved for real scorebooks.

Aug 5, 2022
Max Preps is a great system for promoting high school sports. The fact that it links with scorekeeping apps for immediate reporting of results has done a lot for publicity and increasing fan bases in local communities, especially in states where Max Preps reporting is manditory. Stats will always be affected by the skill of the person doing the scorekeeping. Max Preps is nothing more than the vehicle that conveys information to the public. Electronic devices and online data should never be the official record of a game. That should be reserved for real scorebooks.

Agreed but they are used for so many awards and recognition things in my area

Jan 8, 2019
Electronic devices and online data should never be the official record of a game. That should be reserved for real scorebooks.

People who have no idea how to score a game, and people who purposefully inflate/deflate stats to help favored players/teams would do the same on paper or on electronics. Just more people end up seeing the electronic versions and it’s easier to use electronic versions to evaluate and rank. And I’ll be kind/generous and presume that the majority of scoring errors fall into the don’t know how category

May 3, 2023
People who have no idea how to score a game, and people who purposefully inflate/deflate stats to help favored players/teams would do the same on paper or on electronics. Just more people end up seeing the electronic versions and it’s easier to use electronic versions to evaluate and rank. And I’ll be kind/generous and presume that the majority of scoring errors fall into the don’t know how category

It’s a Fielder’s Choice, the fielder made a choice not to make an attempt at the out at first. Since no out was recorded there is no sacrifice. Buut

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Might have checked the runner, but the "no throw" was to keep the girl on third. Probably would have gotten the runner at first without much problem.

Does a fielder's choice have to include an attempt to get an out?

While some softball scoring differs from OBR, I couldn't find anything that contradicts OBR on this one, so I'm going with it. Most softball scorekeeping rules are inadequate in covering all situations.

A fielder's choice must, in fact, include some kind of attempt.

This is from OBR 2021, but I'm certain they've made no changes to how these plays are scored since then.

What this says: It's NOT a base hit on a failed attempt to put out another runner if the batter-runner could have been put out, however, the rule shall not apply if the fielder merely looks a runner back. It does say "before attempting to make the putout at first base," and here there was no attempt; however, since no attempt to put out the runner is a hit, we can infer that this should be scored a hit.

1714368955072.png

FWIW, Defensive Indifference only applies to allowing a runner to steal a base in a situation where the run doesn't make any difference. NCAA Softball has a specific scenario that I forget because it's kind of stupid in how limited it is. A note in OBR specifically says that the classic first-and-third situation where the defense strategically decides not to attempt to throw out the runner stealing second to prevent the runner on third from scoring should be scored a stolen base. Defensive Indifference should be used rarely, if ever. It's probably DI if the home team is up 7 runs with two outs in the last inning and they don't bother trying to throw out a runner who takes second. But outside of that, not a whole lot of scenarios where it should be used.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
NCAA scorebook guidance refers to defensive indifference in the context of a stolen base or an extra-base (beyond a single). A sacrifice bunt requires both intent AND the advance of a baserunner. A FC requires a check or attempt AND a clear scorer's judgement that the runner would be out with an immediate throw to 1B. With a faster runner laying down a bunt or a slow roller, plays at 1B are almost always "bang-bang". A no-throw is routinely scored as a hit in the NCAA softball games I watch...which is several per week.

When deciding whether to award a base hit, the NCAA scorebook actually says "always give the batter the benefit of the doubt".

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck