Dd # 2 8 u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would start with the lower hand set vs up high and then dropping them down and incorporate a soft core pulse to get the sequence started. Both girls have pre-swing movements to get the sequence started but IMO should be controlled by the core.

Please explain "soft core pulse". That term is not at all a part of hitting terminology used on this site. What does it mean? How does it happen? What affect does it have?

May 22, 2012
pstein, Thanks for all the feedback you have offered, and hopefully continue to offer. With all due respect, I'm not trying to "touch" her swing. Her swing is changing, she is growing. It looks much different than it did in the past, heck it looks different week to week. This happens on it's own. My purpose for posting here is to learn what I can and make sure she is practicing with good form and good habits. Sometimes several sets of eyes is what it takes. The last thing I am trying to do is overhaul her swing.

thanks all!

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Please explain "soft core pulse". That term is not at all a part of hitting terminology used on this site. What does it mean? How does it happen? What affect does it have?

Eric, a soft core pulse (crunch) is what I use to engage the core which allows for the flow of energy to go up/down both sides of the body. This helps setup the change of direction in the barrel while both legs are under you.

The lower hand set (closer to the launch) with this girl should help with barrel control.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, a soft core pulse (crunch) is what I use to engage the core which allows for the flow of energy to go up/down both sides of the body. This helps setup the change of direction in the barrel while both legs are under you.

This sounds like a repackaging of the "cat".

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This sounds like a repackaging of the "cat".

Eric, I wouldn't say repackage.. I have used the term on other forums (thought I did here as well) when describing the actions.. You can ignore what I have tried to convey.. I am just trying to share what I see and feel when hitting and what I teach.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, I wouldn't say repackage.. I have used the term on other forums (thought I did here as well) when describing the actions.. You can ignore what I have tried to convey.. I am just trying to share what I see and feel when hitting and what I teach.

Have you abandoned the "cat"? Poor kitty! ;)

Okay...so... a "soft core pulse" helps to change the direction of the barrel. Which direction is the barrel moving during/after the core pulse? It seems to me, a "core pulse" (if that's the only action happening) would tip the barrel toward the opposite batters box. Is this correct? What happens next?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Eric,

Not sure it this will help, and I am not sure it is exactly what TDS is talking about, but something similar was discussed 20+ years ago when I was in college. I enjoyed lifting weights and often worked out with some very accomplished wrestlers (large D1 college), some body builders, and some power lifters. When lifting, they often referred to using their core to change the direction of the bar/weight. It was a combination of flexing the abs and the glutes simultaneously. Different people looked at it in different ways, but one such example is bench pressing. If one of the lifters wanted to focus more isolation on the pecs and arms, he would place his feet on top of the bench to completely remove the lower body from the process. If he wanted to use the entire body, he would place his feet flat on the floor and would arch his back off the bench. The "flexing" of the abs and glutes was explained to me in two ways. Some felt it would send a "pulse" to the other muscle groups enhancing their ability to lift. Others claimed that the "flexing" allowed the core to act as a conduit to get the energy from the lower body to transfer to the upper body to lift the weight. In either case, they felt that the timing of the flex was extremely important to maximizing their lifting potential.

Like I said, I do not know if this completely fits with what TDS is saying, but hopefully he will correct me if I am off base.

Jan 13, 2012
pstein, Thanks for all the feedback you have offered, and hopefully continue to offer. With all due respect, I'm not trying to "touch" her swing. Her swing is changing, she is growing. It looks much different than it did in the past, heck it looks different week to week. This happens on it's own. My purpose for posting here is to learn what I can and make sure she is practicing with good form and good habits. Sometimes several sets of eyes is what it takes. The last thing I am trying to do is overhaul her swing.

thanks all!

I understand. Basically, what you want to do is make sure that her engines (under the hood) are working well, and then you can worry about style. Too many people would worry about style in this case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing