Canady rumor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is more to a WCWS contender than one top-level pitcher. Sure, it can put Texas Tech in the running for a Big 12 championship now that Texas and OU have departed. After the regular season, it takes elite hitting to score against the best pitching and some excellent defense. A new coach with Canady and some transfers from the Sun Belt Conference isn't rolling over the SEC. The only way she's going to WCWS is if she gets hold of a ticket.
She will pitch Friday and Sunday and will give them a good chance to win Big 12, win Regionals and get to WCWS. I would estimate a 50/50 chance to get to WCWS. 5 to 1 on winning the WCWS.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
She will pitch Friday and Sunday and will give them a good chance to win Big 12, win Regionals and get to WCWS. I would estimate a 50/50 chance to get to WCWS. 5 to 1 on winning the WCWS.

I think you're getting waaaay out over your skis there. Canady makes them competitive in the Big 12, but there's a number of good teams there to overcome. Which Regionals is Tech going to win, and then which Super??? Which SEC contenders are their Sun Belt transfers and misc freshmen going to score on?

Jul 1, 2022
The last two years, it was obvious that Stanford's offense was not going to get it done when they got to the WCWS. They had good defense but Canady clearly carried the team hard.

By moving to TT, she not only gets paid but now the school becomes attractive to other great players whether through HS or the portal in a talent rich region. TT also does not have the stringent academic requirements that Stanford does.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TT recruiting receive a bump from this. Great players want to play with other great players.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Texas Tech was statistically much better than Stanford was, and she had Stanford close.

People underestimate how bad Stanford was because Canady carried them.

It's also a pitcher's game, especially in softball when women can pitch substantially more percentages of the schedules than men.

TT '25 has a new coach with an almost completely new team (3 from last year). Trying to draw any comparison from last year's Tech/Stanford teams is tenuous, at best. I don't underestimate, at all, how much Canady carried Stanford...they're not even close without her. As I said, Canady makes Tech competitive in conference, but calling them a WCWS contender with the rest of that roster is, to put it politely, unrealistic.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
The last two years, it was obvious that Stanford's offense was not going to get it done when they got to the WCWS. They had good defense but Canady clearly carried the team hard.

By moving to TT, she not only gets paid but now the school becomes attractive to other great players whether through HS or the portal in a talent rich region. TT also does not have the stringent academic requirements that Stanford does.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TT recruiting receive a bump from this. Great players want to play with other great players.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Good points! Like your comments about the stringent academic requirements. There is definitely a big difference between say OU and UCLA also. Those things sometimes get overlooked. But I do think they play a role!

I also think great players get attracted to other great players. However it can also create a divide when there is such big imbalance. $$$ plays a hand in that.

Mar 29, 2023
TT '25 has a new coach with an almost completely new team (3 from last year). Trying to draw any comparison from last year's Tech/Stanford teams is tenuous, at best. I don't underestimate, at all, how much Canady carried Stanford...they're not even close without her. As I said, Canady makes Tech competitive in conference, but calling them a WCWS contender with the rest of that roster is, to put it politely, unrealistic.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. My opinion is just that if Canady can carry Stanford to the final 4, she can carry Texas Tech to the final 4.

(She beats Texas in that elimination game if Stanford isn't horrific both offensively and defensively in that game, as well.)

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
A true leader in the circle can have profound benefits!

IF the dynamic is a shared team experience!

No one player can pull everybody!

Appears Texas Tech is going to be a new program to watch develop. It's going to take guidance by the head coach and coaching staff to lead it all the best direction for the entire team! Which definitely includes how that coaching staff is communicating to the entire roster.
The players coming together are just as important as buying players.

Oct 13, 2017
I think you're getting waaaay out over your skis there. Canady makes them competitive in the Big 12, but there's a number of good teams there to overcome. Which Regionals is Tech going to win, and then which Super??? Which SEC contenders are their Sun Belt transfers and misc freshmen going to score on?

Tech has a good chance to host and win their own regional and super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831