High School Softball Tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
How common are high school tournaments in your area?
The ones I am seeing here in Texas (Dallas Area) are taking Thur, Friday, and Sat with seemingly no regard to going to class on those days.
It seems like the top high schools are playing in them every weekend until district play starts, has this been a thing for a long time?

What are the financial incentives to have these? Who is making money from having these every weekend?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Trying to figure out why 58 So Cal HS teams are missing 3 days of school, driving 5 hours, paying for Hotels to play mostly other So Cal teams in AZ. Tradition? Yeah, traditionally lighting money on fire.. Was the Great Park in Irvine closed?? HBSC closed too. All the BLD facilities booked? Help me understand.

Jan 22, 2011
In Northern California, there are tournaments during "ski week" and the second half of the most common week for spring break. There are a couple of schools that host tournaments over two consecutive Saturdays. Never asked, but I assume it's somewhat a fundraiser for the schools.

May 18, 2022
Interesting, up here there are a few 3 team and 4 team tournaments that happen on friday night and saturday. Never full days off, just early release depending on how far they have to travel.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
In Northern Wisconsin tournaments are one day and usually three games with a consolation bracket and championship bracket. Never heard of more than three.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We run a tournament. It is on a Friday and Saturday. It used to be huge. After COVID, we are having a hard time getting those numbers back. A couple of teams dropped out due to the difference in enrollment of the schools we have in the tournament. We have teams coming to the tournament from around three hours away.

We played in a one-day tournament for years. I don't know what happened but we are not in that tournament this year.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Daughter's High School team does on tournament the entire season. It is a Wednesday and Thursday tournament and all the games are played in the evening. 1 game the first night, and two on the 2nd night for a total of three games at most. Single elimination with a consolation game if you lose your first game. All the teams will be within an hour ride.

May 29, 2015
Unheard of around here.

Three-ways on a Saturday, sure.

A couple of "Slams" (lots of games with teams rotating around at a complex on a Saturday, but not tournament style).

Never seen a school game on a Sunday. Not even a make up game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles