Alliance changed the age cut off to September 1st?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I got an email from tcs ,

My question is why the change ? My older kid is a late baby and she has always played with her age group(birth year 2010) , I feel it only makes them better .
She can still play with them. She'll just be playing up, technically.

As someone else mentioned, it's probably done to align more closely with school age cutoff dates.

Jun 19, 2016
I got an email from tcs ,

My question is why the change ? My older kid is a late baby and she has always played with her age group(birth year 2010) , I feel it only makes them better .
It is being done to align with recruiting classes. College coaches care about graduating classes, not birth years. Thr old system mad it were girls born from Sept to Dec where in one age division while girls from there same class born Jan - Aug were in another division.

May 13, 2021
It is being done to align with recruiting classes. College coaches care about graduating classes, not birth years. Thr old system mad it were girls born from Sept to Dec where in one age division while girls from there same class born Jan - Aug were in another division.
If it was about graduating class, they would just go by graduating class.

May 17, 2023
So this is where we are I think so far.. Correct me if I'm wrong.
USA Softball Aug 31st
Alliance Aug 31st
Triple Crown Aug 31st
USSSA Dec 31st
PGF Dec 31st.

Perfect Game also went to Aug 31 shortly after USA before last season.

Interesting statement from PGF given many of their directors don't stick to that rule. Some of them allow older as long as in the correct class and not a pitcher or catcher. Others just go by the Aug 31 regardless of position.

We played an entire team of Fall birthday kids that were technically too old for the division. Their teammates were all in High School season so they joined up to make one team and play. Didn't seem to bother anyone and clearly the director had given the ok.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Years ago our Rec league used to use the school cut off dates, but we changed it to align with ASA/USA Softball. It made it easier for Allstars when the kids were playing in the correct age divisions during the Rec season. I am no longer involved, but I wonder what they are doing?

May 17, 2023
They are trying to get the Dec and the Jan in the same division without giving those held back an advantage.

I was told by someone in USA softball that it was the college coaches who asked them to make the change. The goal was to get most of the kids in the same class together on the field.

My question is who? Because there are a lot of college coaches, can't imagine they all agreed on that thought. So was it a handful of important ones, maybe a conference head, or even one of the organizations that represent the coaches? Anyone's guess on who really prompted this change.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was told by someone in USA softball that it was the college coaches who asked them to make the change. The goal was to get most of the kids in the same class together on the field.

My question is who? Because there are a lot of college coaches, can't imagine they all agreed on that thought. So was it a handful of important ones, maybe a conference head, or even one of the organizations that represent the coaches? Anyone's guess on who really prompted this change.
Age cutoffs seem more relevant at 14U and below. Once they are "recruitable" they are in HS, they either play 16U or 18U.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Age cutoffs seem more relevant at 14U and below. Once they are "recruitable" they are in HS,

they either play 16U or 18U.
This ⬆️ college coaches know this won't change. There will always be a mixture age bracket in 18u. Simply there are too many times when trying to shuffle teams is irrelevant when you can just have players play up and keep a solid roster.

That and also for more competitive 18u teams they know they have college coaches that are already connected with some of their players coming and viewing and following the team. That they can exhibit younger Talent that's pulled up in front of those College eyes.

18u will always be a mixture unless there is a minimum age limit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968