Texas Tech Softball $10,000 NIL Deal for softball players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Ultimately, the colleges are at fault here. The fact they reduce any award because of an outside scholarship is foolish. What you must understand is the colleges don't care about your finances so long as you pay them.

Colleges are a business that provide a service and, due to changing student demographics, must increasingly compete. While the Harvards, et al, won't have much problem, the rest will eventually realize that higher education is becoming a buyer's market. When people realize that there are choices, and many things are actually negotiable, that sort of "bait and switch" nonsense disappears. Although private universities have a higher sticker price, I found them easier to deal with, and the one my kids ended up at had a much lower net cost than the surrounding large state schools.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Colleges are a business that provide a service and, due to changing student demographics, must increasingly compete. While the Harvards, et al, won't have much problem, the rest will eventually realize that higher education is becoming a buyer's market. When people realize that there are choices, and many things are actually negotiable, that sort of "bait and switch" nonsense disappears. Although private universities have a higher sticker price, I found them easier to deal with, and the one my kids ended up at had a much lower net cost than the surrounding large state schools.
That's very true. If you're ranking cost by sticker price, it's always:
1) Private
2) Out-of-state public
3) In-state public.

If you're ranking by net price, it's usually the top two who flip. Sometimes the privates can be less than in-state public's because their endowments are so much larger.

The biggest cost sucker is room and board. For the 22-23 school year, Fordham charges $21,666 to live in the Bronx...

Jun 8, 2016
A resourceful, intelligent student could learn everything they need to learn in Engineering from the courses/lectures various Universities (MIT, etc) have made public. The business world would need to change the way they do things (eg interview process,etc) in order for that to be viable (and in the process force Universities to keep their costs reasonable)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DW's younger VERY SMART cousin (twins) went to A&M for a year before he got kicked out. Would rather stay up all night playing Warcraft and making trips up the road to Baylor to chase the girls. Then he enrolled in Universal Technical Institute for car repair. I never knew the kid could turn a wrench! Graduated at the very top of his class. Then got an invite to the prestigious Audi school in Arizona. Graduated at the Very top of his class there. Went on the work at an Audi Dealership making bank. Then opened up a little shop, then years later opened a way bigger shop. Now is part of a network of shops. His twin brother got his law degree and was doing lawyer stuff in Iowa while his wife is has PHD in music, teaching at Coe College. He decided to move to Dallas and join the operation a couple of years ago.

If you have a high end car in the Dallas area and needs service...here ya go!

Ya never know where your journey will take you and college is not for everyone.

https://blairautomotive.com/about/

Aug 12, 2014
That's very true. If you're ranking cost by sticker price, it's always:
1) Private
2) Out-of-state public
3) In-state public.

If you're ranking by net price, it's usually the top two who flip. Sometimes the privates can be less than in-state public's because their endowments are so much larger.

The biggest cost sucker is room and board. For the 22-23 school year, Fordham charges $21,666 to live in the Bronx...

Depends where you live. I'm in Colorado and 2 and 3 are flipped. Both my kids are at OOS publics that cost less than CU and CSU. Our higher ed funding sucks.

Jul 1, 2019
Before I got excited over the $10K, I'd want to know what the university is making.

This is a collective and not a part of the University. The university can’t provide NIL money. So the collectives are crowdsourced organizations distributing funds to players in exchange for value based on the players Name Image and Likeness. As the concept is new, there are not a lot of rules in place, and the NCAA can’t do anything unless the coaches and universities get involved by asking them to recruit on behalf of the school.

It is a little wild right now and will be interesting to watch what this does to the landscape of college athletics. Do the collectives start taking valuable resources from booster clubs which underwrite a lot of building projects for athletic programs etc, or are there enough funds to go around? Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2018
Why would they need that our president has that under control.
There is a million places for you to post your political hot takes. Why do you have to do it here?

This site is supposed to be dedicated to arguing over the HLP of hitting solely.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
There is a million places for you to post your political hot takes. Why do you have to do it here?

This site is supposed to be dedicated to arguing over the HLP of hitting solely.
Just a bad effort at humor. I agree and apologize, do not want to turn this political. I was playing off the quoted comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478