Wow!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
A baseball coach's view on how the portal and NIL are wreaking havoc on college sports (not that I feel sorry for them, they have made plenty of money off these kids for long enough . . . but I get what he is saying):

Summary: "Every college athlete is now a free agent every year. Gilmore is right. It would not work in professional sports. It won’t work in college athletics. It is a system that is not sustainable."

May 29, 2015
Alex Staroka, Kelly Maxwell, and now Canady all left schools so they could get a ring. Was it good for the overall health of the game? No, but it's tough to tell a girl not to do it.

When a system has suppressed and held people back for so long while the system benefitted, I cannot disagree.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
A baseball coach's view on how the portal and NIL are wreaking havoc on college sports (not that I feel sorry for them, they have made plenty of money off these kids for long enough . . . but I get what he is saying):

Summary: "Every college athlete is now a free agent every year. Gilmore is right. It would not work in professional sports. It won’t work in college athletics. It is a system that is not sustainable."
Charlie Finley proposed free agency every year for MLB players. It was thought of as crazy at the time, but it would have eliminated these crazy 10 year $500 million contracts. Perform, you get a raise. Do poorly, lose money the next year.

May 27, 2013
When a system has suppressed and held people back for so long while the system benefitted, I cannot disagree.
MIB - I’m not challenging you but truly wondering - how were they suppressed and held back? Truly just trying to understand. Athletes of their caliber probably had a true free ride to college. The COA for Stanford is about $82K/year so imagine being not having to shell out $328K for college?

It seems to me it’s only the true top-tier athletes who benefit greatly from the full ride AND the NIL from what I’ve seen. Maybe I’m missing something?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
MIB - I’m not challenging you but truly wondering - how were they suppressed and held back? Truly just trying to understand. Athletes of their caliber probably had a true free ride to college. The COA for Stanford is about $82K/year so imagine being not having to shell out $328K for college?

It seems to me it’s only the true top-tier athletes who benefit greatly from the full ride AND the NIL from what I’ve seen. Maybe I’m missing something?

The athletic scholarship calculus is a bit different at Stanford...it's tuition-free for any student whose parents make less than $150K per year. Less than $100K per year => free tuition/room/board. https://admission.stanford.edu/afford/

It is true that there are a relative few really making bank on NIL, but that's changing. Larger schools are entering into collective NIL sponsorship deals that pay a wide swath of athletes, including softball players. Numbers are well into five figures. That's in addition to what the athletes can do individually.

May 29, 2015

I’ll admit I am not speaking from a full position of knowledge … so please correct me when I am wrong.

I used to have that same thought process … they get scholarships and that should be good enough!

But when the coach is taking in BIG bucks (the highest paid STATE EMPLOYEE in most states is the head football coach at the state school) and these kids couldn’t even get a sandwich without violating an NCAA rule and jeopardizing their status . . .

. . . when these kids were told, “We’re sorry you left your family and support system behind and came half-way across the country, but we don’t care about your mental health, throw the sports ball or get out . . .

. . . Or when the star forward blows out a knee and the career is over, so is your hope for an education . . .

. . . Or when they went to play for a coach who took a bigger payday and left, but the kid was stuck at that school by NCAA standards . . .

. . . the NCAA has been doing kids dirty for a LONG time. I am not a fan of the modern day “Screw you, I’m getting mine” mentality, but in this case, I hope these kids get theirs and break the system down in the process. The NCAA has been driven by nothing but greed for too long.

As I said, NIL has just legitimized a corrupt process that was already in place (yes, the star quarterback and potential Heisman winner clerked in my law office/sold cars/sold insurance for me all summer *wink*!), but, more importantly, it has made it accessible and more equitable to the rest of the athletes.

I just wish they were getting a cut of the actual NCAA’s and the universities’ money.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I wanted to take that second part in a separate post so the topics can be replied to individually . . .

NIL is not just landing a national shoe deal or getting a cut when your jersey sells. We are talking much larger totals in much smaller transactions. It’s $500 to come eat at my rib joint this weekend. It’s $5,000 to stand next to me in my “hire me, I’m an ambulance chaser” commercial. It’s a new set of teeth and $10,000 to splash your smile on my dentistry billboard.

It isn’t just being a celebrity endorser . . . It is the ability to sell your t-shirts or fashion line or even just raise money for charity (see the softball videos I posted above). It is the ability to leverage your social media and get paid for it. It is the ability to put on a camp or offer coaching for pay.

If you live in, or are exposed to, a major college town culture, you will have a different perspective. I didn’t live in Oxford and was only at Ole Miss a few weekends each month, but the college athletics worship culture was eye opening.

If you are a well-off individual and an alumni, you are happy to “do your part” and be seen doing it.

There is NO limit on what NIL can be.

May 27, 2013
I’ll admit I am not speaking from a full position of knowledge … so please correct me when I am wrong.

I used to have that same thought process … they get scholarships and that should be good enough!

But when the coach is taking in BIG bucks (the highest paid STATE EMPLOYEE in most states is the head football coach at the state school) and these kids couldn’t even get a sandwich without violating an NCAA rule and jeopardizing their status . . .

. . . when these kids were told, “We’re sorry you left your family and support system behind and came half-way across the country, but we don’t care about your mental health, throw the sports ball or get out . . .

. . . Or when the star forward blows out a knee and the career is over, so is your hope for an education . . .

. . . Or when they went to play for a coach who took a bigger payday and left, but the kid was stuck at that school by NCAA standards . . .

. . . the NCAA has been doing kids dirty for a LONG time. I am not a fan of the modern day “Screw you, I’m getting mine” mentality, but in this case, I hope these kids get theirs and break the system down in the process. The NCAA has been driven by nothing but greed for too long.

As I said, NIL has just legitimized a corrupt process that was already in place (yes, the star quarterback and potential Heisman winner clerked in my law office/sold cars/sold insurance for me all summer *wink*!), but, more importantly, it has made it accessible and more equitable to the rest of the athletes.
I see what you are saying, thank you for explaining.

I guess the part about all of this (transfer portal, leaving for NIL money, etc) that just seems wrong in a sense is that these athletes potentially take a “spot” at a highly desired school such as Stanford, get a lot of their tuition/room/board covered and then just leave for a better “softball” opportunity. That “spot” could have gone to a kid who truly wanted to go to Stanford for the four years for the academics while also being a full-pay or needs-based student. Are well-deserving (meaning academic-wise) non-athletes who would LOVE to be at a school such as Stanford missing out on being admitted because of the athletes (who will jump ship after a year or two for NIL money)? I don’t know. I honestly don’t know what to think here.

And please don’t think I’m not for Canady (or other athletes for that matter) moving on - I think she is amazing and I truly hope she achieves whatever her goals/dreams may be. I just don’t know what the right answer is - and I don’t know ethically what seems right or wrong about all of it.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021
Top performers at top companies leave their job on a regular basis, so too do people who simply are not happy working their any more and have an option to leave.

If "they" want to run college athletics as a business, they should not be surprised, or cry foul, when their "employees" will work to improve conditions or leave when a better opportunity presents itself.

I personally do not like to see it, but I understand why it is happening and cannot blame the athletes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym