Wow!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
There is also the Big Shiny moment / object that people wish to obtain. The status. The glow, the shine, the sheen, the Brilliance of it all... even if the dollar amount doesn't seem that grand to anybody else. Being part of the deal is being big and shiny.

Social media is an influence.

May 27, 2013
There is also the Big Shiny moment / object that people wish to obtain. The status. The glow, the shine, the sheen, the Brilliance of it all... even if the dollar amount doesn't seem that grand to anybody else. Being part of the deal is being big and shiny.

Social media is an influence.
And for the average SB player (which, let’s face it - the majority of college players are) that moment comes and goes VERY quickly. “Glory Days….”

May 29, 2015
Is there really that much NIL money (in addition to merchandise/marketing money) for softball players? Also, it seems like a lot of players post-graduation end up in a state of limbo trying to hold on to their softball dreams while delaying the pursuit of a career.

You aren’t seeing the real picture. NIL only legalized what had been going on for years in the big men’s sports. It isn’t about landing a national Gatorade or Nike endorsement. It is all the money that flows from rich alumni/supporters for local “advertising.” The local car dealer, local attorneys and doctors, the local construction company …

Oct 14, 2019
You aren’t seeing the real picture. NIL only legalized what had been going on for years in the big men’s sports. It isn’t about landing a national Gatorade or Nike endorsement. It is all the money that flows from rich alumni/supporters for local “advertising.” The local car dealer, local attorneys and doctors, the local construction company …
So how much?

Apr 20, 2017
This was a very surprising move and it is not just rumors. To me it’s a sad day that it is clear now that championships are for sale to the highest bidder.

The ACC move is not as big of a deal as many people think. The max series to play on the east coast is 4 and will alternate between 3/4 every year. So it’s not like they will be traveling every weekend across the country. While it may cause some to question whether that travel is good or bad for themselves. It also opens up their recruiting area to be nation wide. Allowing east coast athletes the opportunity to attend Stanford but also play some games back on the east coast.

She loved Stanford and was one of the biggest recruiting tools. It seemed she really wanted to build her legacy at Stanford. Coach Allister has done an amazing job there and they made the super regional before Canady arrived on campus. I just hate how the portal along with nil has done to college athletics.

May 29, 2015
So how much?

Is there a way to find that out?

Here is an article on The Grove (Ole Miss's "collective") raising $10 million for Ole Miss's 200 athletes. That averages to $50k/athlete, but that is just from the small fundraising effort by this group.

Here as article to get a better understanding of what The Grove is about and how it functions (hint: the big dollars and big athletes aren't even going through this funding source):

(Short version in video: )

May 29, 2015
I can't find the cringeworthy one from the University of Illinois basketball player for a local lawyer, but I'll drop this one here (it's not bad) . . .

What do you think she made? (I don't have a clue.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym