Wow!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Is there really that much NIL money (in addition to merchandise/marketing money) for softball players? Also, it seems like a lot of players post-graduation end up in a state of limbo trying to hold on to their softball dreams while delaying the pursuit of a career.
Not nearly as much as some of the eye-popping football and basketball payouts, but schools are working out collective agreements that pay everyone. For the bigger names, it can pay mid-five-figures annually...probably more as time goes on.

You're right about players post-graduation, but many of them essentially majored in softball. Some are clearly in that "limbo"...playing pro/USA team ball, and they may go on to coach. There are several bigger OU names already in paid college assistant coaching positions; Parker, Knighten, Saile, Romero, et al. Jocylyn Alo has been playing with the Savannah Bananas. That seems a bit goofy, until you realize that they fill stadiums to capacity.

Jan 20, 2023
I bought my daughter a Stanford sweatshirt cause she loves watching her pitch. Should have stuck with a tee-shirt ?

That said especially with the ACC change I guess I can understand. I’d love to see her in the Olympics. And we already bought OU tee shirts.

Feb 7, 2014
Is there really that much NIL money (in addition to merchandise/marketing money) for softball players? Also, it seems like a lot of players post-graduation end up in a state of limbo trying to hold on to their softball dreams while delaying the pursuit of a career.
There may not be much NIL money, but I think there is definitely career opportunities afforded these players.

Let me give an example...

Kayla Kowalik comes out of Texas and plays five years for Kentucky. Wins some awards at the Power 5 level, plays professionally, and is routinely helping the current college players and coaching staff. There will be a coaching position for her when she is ready for it. It sounds like a great career path in my opinion and I think there's plenty of athletes out there from all levels of play that will follow that track. As with any profession there's attrition and softball is not unique to that.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
What's the estimate on the value of a Stanford degree over a lifetime?

What kind of Stanford degree? How much more is a Psychology, Education, or "______ Studies" major worth from Stanford? My wife's public university engineering and MBA degrees were paying six figures 30 years ago. She had multiple offers before graduation from well known companies. Unless you're working the alumni network, where your degree comes from matters less and less over a lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968