Will never catch again with out shin guards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Have a blue/black left big toe and the nail is coming off from a drop ball and yes I had shin guards on.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Do you guys sit on a bucket? I have learned that when the girls get older, and the ball is actually moving... get off the bucket. I can get out of the way now :)

Apr 19, 2013
Catching 12 yo DD the other night one came in radared at 58 and hit directly on my shin..had it not been for my leg guard I would have had a broken leg for sure. It hit and flew back to her at the mound. Leg guard did not help with the drop that came in and slammed my big toe..steel toe shoes next time too!

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
If at all possible, invite one of your team's catchers to catch at your DD's pitching lessons. This gets parents out of harms way, lets the catcher hone her skills and helps the two get to know each other better and learn one another's strengths and weaknesses. If not your own team, ask local coaches or your pitching instructor for catchers. My DD caught for a local pitching instructor whenever someone asked for a catcher. She was 15 catching college age pitchers. It scared the crap out of her at first but made her a much better catcher.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
If at all possible, invite one of your team's catchers to catch at your DD's pitching lessons. This gets parents out of harms way, lets the catcher hone her skills and helps the two get to know each other better and learn one another's strengths and weaknesses. If not your own team, ask local coaches or your pitching instructor for catchers. My DD caught for a local pitching instructor whenever someone asked for a catcher. She was 15 catching college age pitchers. It scared the crap out of her at first but made her a much better catcher.

We would but we travel an hour and a half for lessons 2 days a month. We have asked before and only had some one accept once. Plus my DH and I enjoy catching while we can. I just need to work on reading the pitches better. :)

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Have never used a bucket. Makes it too hard to run away.
Still nursing black n blue big toe from last week. Lucky for me I think my toenail will be fine.
I want a pair of those Frankenstein looking shoes the umps wear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing