High School Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
for those who have never read it...highly recommended.

The Matheny Manifesto: A Young Manager's Old-School Views on Success in Sports and Life​

I figured everyone on DFP had read it by now.

I read the review. Seems like it's a book filled with cliches and memes. Hard work, respect, blah blah blah. What am I missing?

Apr 14, 2022
I gotta say with my experience I prefer parent coaches. My girls have had four non-parent coaches. They:

1. Seem to cancel practice/games/tourneys in iffy weather faster than parent coaches
2. Don't really understand as well the conflicts of parenting and multiple kids
3. Have less vested interest in girls' futures
4. Still play favorites, and in many cases do so more than any parent coach I've had

Of course this is just my limited experience and there are good and bad coaches of all kinds.

Probably a surprise but I agree for travel ball. Will ad a 5.
5. Keeps core of team together.
You have 2 parent coaches with good players and each have a friend you have a solid stable core.

My issue with parents school ball particularly when the start coaching when kid starts playing is:
1. A kid cannot chose the school.
2. It is 4 years.
3. Schools do not seem to control the situation or expect the situation.
4. Many parents involved with children are disasters. If I can chose the parent not so bad and know what to expect. Do they think their kid is 10% better than what they are or 3-4x better.

Oct 4, 2018
Probably a surprise but I agree for travel ball. Will ad a 5.
5. Keeps core of team together.
You have 2 parent coaches with good players and each have a friend you have a solid stable core.

My issue with parents school ball particularly when the start coaching when kid starts playing is:
1. A kid cannot chose the school.
2. It is 4 years.
3. Schools do not seem to control the situation or expect the situation.
4. Many parents involved with children are disasters. If I can chose the parent not so bad and know what to expect. Do they think their kid is 10% better than what they are or 3-4x better.

Yup, I'm with ya.

I wouldn't want a parent coach in HS - that seems rife for additional issues/politics.

Feb 24, 2022
I think there have been enough horror stories of poor high school coaching to say that it is NOT a parent or paid coaching issue. It's a bad coaching issue. It seems to be a coin flip to determine if you have a good experience or not.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812