Will never catch again with out shin guards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
I think the title says it pretty well, lol. I had a momentary lack of judgement yesterday and caught my DD with out shin guards and took a pitch to the ankle yesterday during her lesson. She technically hasn't learned to throw a drop ball, but some of her pitches naturally drop. We are moving to a 12in ball and from listening to other parents about losing speed, some velocity; I thought "I can do this". HaHa! Boy I thought wrong. I can tell you I have been the epitome of "suck it up and be tough" during the last 24hrs. I dont want her to know how badly it hurts (some swelling, and bruising and catch bear much weight on it) because then she worries about that when I catch her. From now on I will ALWAYS wear protective gear. I am enjoying these moments regardless of my stupidity. To be able to be apart of her development and share the excitement with her as her pitching really starts to come together is priceless. I will always offer to catch her as long as I am able.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Right there with you!!! In the beginning I considered wearing full gear to catch for DD. Had one bounce off my glove, hit my chest then grazed my chin and took off a few layers of skin. Both her pitching and my catching have improved! I still look for someone to catch her lessons every chance I get. I enjoy it but she worries about me getting hurt and slows her pitches down too much.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Gear is good. I was catching a couple kids the other day in a brand new bull pen with a very rough surface. I normally don't wear shin guards with 10U, but with the rough surface, I was getting bad bounces and caught three on the same leg. One blew out a vein and the spot filled a three inch long, finger sized bubble. When I gained composure, we went out and showed the team. Kid got a big high five and we got back to it--shin guards still in the truck. Last night, I put them on.

We had two umps start games without full gear this year. One guy started with nothing. He went the 3 innings with both teams throwing pretty slow pitchers. We kept asking him if he wanted a mask & shin guards and he politely turned the offers down. In the 4th, we sent in one of my kids. He saw one warm up pitch and asked for a mask. The other started with a mask only, and almost the same sitch, except she actually stepped in for a couple pitches before stopping the game to put on the shin guards.

There is no shame in wearing gear!

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The mask became part of pitching practice when DD was learning the screwball - boy do I hate the screwgie-rise balls!! Shin gaurds when the drop came in. The drop curve isn't that tough to catch; except when they throw 40 footers (she pitches from 43').

Feb 16, 2012
I took one to the ankle when DD was first year 12U. It didn't heal and a year later I had to have ankle surgery. Been wearing shin guards ever since and only wear the mask when she is working on her drop.

Dec 10, 2012
USA
I took one to the shin for DD age 14. After 6 weeks of pain, I had an x-ray. Yep, it was cracked. I'll never catch again without equipment. Of course, she broke her collarbone in February. She can play, but is still not cleared for windmill motion.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Glad I'm not the only one...haha

The swelling still hasn't gone down and if I step just right it brings me to the ground. Unfortunately or fortunately we are Maryland bound tomorrow evening for the world series and just no extra time to spend hours at the doctor. If I am still in this much pain when we get back I'm gonna have it looked at. She asked me a little bit ago if I was feeling better. I said yep, I'll be fine just a little sore. I love that girl!

May 13, 2013
Took one off the top of the foot earlier today (thankfully i was wearing shin guards).

She has hit me previously, but one still leaves a mark. Was with her old pitching coach in a clinic style setting and took one straight to the shin bone. I had to walk it off and thankfully i was wearing sunglasses because i was crying. Was nasty and bruised for a month and I was like.. i need to get this checked out. Nothing major was wrong, the area is still a bit discolored though. EXPENSIVE lesson.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Just thought I would give an update. Turns out I have a hairline fracture and will be in a walking boot for at least two more weeks and on crutches as needed. His last comment was: "No catching until you are cleared and DO NOT catch anymore with out shin guards". He was less than thrilled I had waited so long to be seen but was thankful I was smart enough to find a catcher while I am healing. He told me pushing through this type of pain is not admirable and I should consider myself lucky.

Jul 10, 2013
Just a piece of advice. My DD is 16U and has caught a game with a dislocated pinky on her catching hand and had 3 sprained fingers on her throwing hand. Don't let them girls show you up ! Remember "if it was easy they would call it Baseball"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207