Where should pitcher set up when covering home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2012
Just a general question regarding positioning. Where do people recommend a RH pitcher set up when covering home on a passed ball. None of the pitchers on 12u rec team have been able to get a tag on soon enough even when ball gets there in time so am wondering if they should move towards 3B more but wanted to hear other opinions.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The should receive the ball inside the base line (fair territory) about 2 feet up baseline to drop the tag down in front of home plate. I've seen many rec pitchers run straight for home plate and drop the tag right on the middle of home plate. Even if they get a tag on it is usually after the runner's foot has touched home plate. Just my opinion.

Apr 13, 2013
I think Sweet Lou is right on but for what it is worth I think it is a hard play for the defense.

You need to work on it in practice it is an Issue.

It is an Issue with DD's 12U Team too.

Mar 1, 2013
I see it all the time as an ump. I'll be in position watching the play, the pitcher runs in to the middle/first base side of home plate, the throw beats the runner in but the runner slides, getting her foot on the plate before the tag drops on her ankle that's already crossed the plate. The defensive stands always blows up screaming, "C'mon blue! The ball beat her!" Heck, I had three the other night that the fielder had the ball, on the base and straddling it. Runner came in sliding and leaning down. Fielder attempted to tag the runner on the body rather than on the leading foot. Safe all around.

Like Hit by the Pitch said, it's something they need to work on in practice. If they aren't coached on how to approach that, we can't expect them to do it correctly by magic.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
They shouldn't. First base takes it.

This can work with higher level teams. It's just not practical in a rec setting that the OP describes. Of course with higher level teams the number of PB/WPs drops dramatically and you have far fewer plays of this type at home.

Apr 1, 2010
From what I've seen, that passed ball play at the plate is one that simply never gets practiced, but is always only attempted live--with predictably bad results, LOL.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
From what I've seen, that passed ball play at the plate is one that simply never gets practiced, but is always only attempted live--with predictably bad results, LOL.

At 12U rec we used to practice it becuase it happened way too often in games. Unfortunately the results were still mostly predictable.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Bent over with the glove down at the 3rd base side of the plate, where the play will be. Not standing up catching the ball head high. The catcher and pitcher need to practice this. The catcher needs to circle the ball, grab it with the bare hand and pivot on the knees staying down, and quick release it to the glove on the ground. Has to be a quick reaction with a plan. Everybody knows this, but we see high throws and safe runners, most of the time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog