When should pitcher field a hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Another point is pop-ups. The better the team gets, the less your pitcher should catch or attempt to catch. Almost anything hit high is better fielded by others. Back-peddling for a pop-up isn't gonna go well sometimes. Much easier for MI to come in and get it.

My DD pitcher has been called off by balls that literally would land 3 feet from where she is standing, and that's great. It's how we play. Plus, it gives the fielders a bit more equal time. :p

May 20, 2015
having an above average fielding pitcher is a blessing and a curse sometimes.....took us a long time to get one to realize that just because she COULD get to a ball to her right side (RHP), it wasn't always a good idea........we had strong SS's for a few years that were older and were comfortable telling her to leave it (when there was time) and where she was confident they'd make the play, so she didn't feel like she HAD to make the play......we still had one or two that she got to and by the time she made the throw, it was too late.....but she tended to make up for it with ludicrous plays back at her that she routinely made

we tried to get her to think of a cone from the plate to the edges of her circle......grounders inside that cone were hers, and we widened it to the 1b side (our 1bs over her time were not super mobile) (this is ignoring the obvious 3b/C plays)......with her she tended to own bunts all the way to the line, unless corners were in with a runner on 3b

pop ups i agree, with most pitchers unless it is in their circle, it's someone elses.......again, we tended to range a little more towards 1b with her on pop ups that were in front of her but a little far for the catcher......but then again i've seen out catcher (my DD2) catch pop ups in front of the 1B dugout pretty routinely lol, for better or for worse

if you have decent INF defense, the mantra of once it is past you, in the air or in the ground, it belongs to someone else, generally holds true......unless it doesn't

Jun 11, 2013
Do go back to field popups and always let anyone call you off, but other than that make a play when you can. You have 9 on defense use them all.

May 13, 2023
Pitcher defense is a neglected area of play. Rarely practiced.
PRACTICE⬆️ this right here will expand defensive options. From training/ practicing pitchers involved in defensive plays with the team will become more obvious the range pitchers can have.

imo would not make a prejudgment on what a pitcher cannot do,
I'd rather find out what they can do and utilize it!

Aka: don't pigeonhole a pitcher as only a pitcher.
If anything more training at practice (even if you don't want them stepping to grounders) they can at least defend themselves better with comeback hits.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Depends on the player. My dd wanted and went for everything. Her travel and HS coaches left 1st base at home on bunts. Made who covers what base a lot easier.

Other pitchers are like Michael Jackson. They wear 1 glove for no apparent reason.

I believe the norm should be somewhere in between the 2 and it depends on all the players on the infield.

Oct 4, 2018
Depends on the player. My dd wanted and went for everything. Her travel and HS coaches left 1st base at home on bunts. Made who covers what base a lot easier.

Other pitchers are like Michael Jackson. They wear 1 glove for no apparent reason.

I believe the norm should be somewhere in between the 2 and it depends on all the players on the infield.

If they go for everything, they'll deflect some balls that would have been easy outs by the SS. Gotta be wise on those ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles