When should pitcher field a hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Of course. But they also will gain you an out or two a game that you won’t get from the second kind of pitcher.

They might. They might not.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they go for everything than go for nothing. But there's a balance and that should be explained/taught.

Jun 18, 2023
Well we work on it in practice, but I guess you can learn it in games too.

I wonder how in-game range relates to practice. My initial thought would be you'd get to more in a game because of the higher stakes, adrenaline, etc, but it might be the opposite, might be so zoned in on the pitching that you're not as quick to react.

in any case, if the pitcher's muffing grounders halfway to the line regularly you ask her to stop. If she's making as many of 'em or more than the other fielders would you don't worry about it. This is probably one of those (albeit probably small) things that does benefit teams that play and practice together more often, knowing if your SS or your P can get to a ball and adjusting defensive coverage accordingly. a 3B that trusts her pitcher to field it can cover third easily on a 1-2 situation and get the lead runner, whereas less practiced fielders might not make a play at all.

Nov 18, 2015
Just use the pitchers circle if you're looking for an initial frame of reference, then adjust accordingly.

With pop-ups, I think you know much sooner who's capable of catching them and who's just as likely to fall trying to backpedal.

I like my daughter to take cuts as the pitcher, b/c she has a quicker transfer than the 1B, but also realize trying to make an "exception" for when she's in the circle only adds another layer of complexity to practices that we just don't have time for as a travel (i.e. not practicing every day) team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles