When is the right time to speak up....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2024
I'd love to share my DD's story but to keep it short when she was 12 years old they never let her pitch. Would tell her "we'll get ya in soon" Soon never happened. That dismissiveness built a fire in her that could never be extinguished.

Tonight her team sits at 15-1 and takes on the #1 Longhorns and she may get a shot in the circle. I can honestly say without a shred of doubt that if DD was given shots to pitch at 12's by that coach that she may never have built that desire to prove everyone wrong. She tells the young girls she works with that at 12U she was given a box of darkness and later learned that that too was a gift. Gifts come in many packages. Sometimes it takes years to see that.
This! I watch girls whose parents coach or who have set positions for whatever reason have no fire and no will to really perform or do better because they know it does not make any difference as they will continue to play and have never set out regardless of their attitudes and errors. The kids that get benched and criticized are often the ones who really go on to excel and prove themselves all on their own. Not sticking up for this behavior by the coaches. Absolutely no excuse for them. It might however push your girl to really put the work in for a team that truly deserves her!

Jan 20, 2023
This! I watch girls whose parents coach or who have set positions for whatever reason have no fire and no will to really perform or do better because they know it does not make any difference as they will continue to play and have never set out regardless of their attitudes and errors. The kids that get benched and criticized are often the ones who really go on to excel and prove themselves all on their own. Not sticking up for this behavior by the coaches. Absolutely no excuse for them. It might however push your girl to really put the work in for a team that truly deserves her!

My daughter got put at first when the coach’s daughter was injured. She did really great for months. Then never played it again all season.
But got the chance to play it in high school and it’s totally different because of the gratitude she has for getting to play it again. She stretches on every play and gets the ball in her glove. No gripes, just gratitude. And if it were not for being dropped like a hot rock she would not have the appreciation she has and joy just to be playing there. It’s hard to see them treated unfairly- but if they can learn to use it as kindling for an internal fire - it’s worth it in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer