Varsity or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2011
You need two pitchers anyway. I like the idea someone said of floating between the two teams and then if it turns out she becomes the primary V pitcher, then great. We have done this successfully with other positions at our school. This year we have 3 JV/V floaters.
Wouldn't it be nice to guarantee any kid to be the starting anything, especially freshman who haven't even played in a high school game yet.
Sounds like mom has an attitude issue and is going to end up giving you headaches, no matter which team the kid is on!

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
Just found out last night my twin DDs both made varsity as freshman - one of which is a pitcher. The team has a stud Junior that will most likely be the number 1 for the next 2 years. Me personally, I like this set up. My DD would love to take over as the number one but understands she has things to learn. My DD's skills are close to where the Junior was as a Freshman, so I think it sets up as a good 'role model' type situation. She's got a great bat and can play pretty much any spot on the field. She'll get time in other spots but what she learns from the Junior will be invaluable! I would rather have my daughter get the time and experience at Varsity, even as a number 2, then be the number 1 for JV. Just my thoughts - plus, it's the coaches decision!

Dec 7, 2011
I am surprised that 99% of the HS pitchers would have an issue with sharing mound time considering their chances of getting a college scholarship are probably 90%+ tied to their play in TB vs. HS.

I don't understand this. You are surprised that a pitcher would want to pitch all the time, so they can further refine their art, and potentially get into the season & career record books? Assume the "averaging" stats being equal, if a college coach compares a pitcher that pitched 15 games in a season versus one that pitched all 30 (just using round numbers) I would believe the college coach would definitely drive towards the "workhorse" or the one who could be perceived as the one relied on to get the "W".

But of course this assumes that the workload of HS is generally a workload that one pitcher can handle. Here in WI one pitcher can handle all the workload and so many times does (again except for maybe the non-conference weekend tourneys). I have a feeling this is quite different in other states.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl