Varsity or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Normally a very good, non-hurting, senior pitcher I would want to be the sole pitcher for me. I know many have made a 1-2 pitcher mix work but many many times it comes along with lots of drama and pitcher unhappieness. But now throw in the sore shoulder thing and it might change my opinion.

Most pitchers are used to a 1-2 or even a 1-2-3 pitching rotation from TB, with the obvious difference being the number of games played in a day. Hopefully both pitchers can play another position and bring a big bat - makes it a lot easier to keep everyone happy! It still amazes me how many pitchers become "pitch and sit" players at a young age......makes for a lot of "pine time"!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When my DD was a Freshman in an AZ. HS, once she was brought up to Varsity, she had to stay there. I didn't ask whose rule that was. (The coach? the school? the state?) So, she could not play both.

Dec 7, 2011
Most pitchers are used to a 1-2 or even a 1-2-3 pitching rotation from TB, with the obvious difference being the number of games played in a day. Hopefully both pitchers can play another position and bring a big bat - makes it a lot easier to keep everyone happy! It still amazes me how many pitchers become "pitch and sit" players at a young age......makes for a lot of "pine time"!

Right - for TB the excess number of games squeezed into a few days drives multiple pitchers.

But for the more casual pace of HS, barring a possible long non-conference Saturday or two, the best W/L teams are ones that ride their best ONE pitcher.

I bet ya if you asked any TB-A pitcher if they would be happy sharing the circle in HS you might get 1% that would say "sure".

Jul 26, 2010
You need more then 1 pitcher, coach. Hopefully the senior is a good kid and will take the freshman under her wing and mentor her.

Whatever the parents opinion doesn't matter. I'm sorry if that's offensive, but that's how it is.

My own daughter is a freshman (14yo) this year and made her varsity team. There is a senior who is their #1. My daughter knew full well that she would not get much pitching time, but decided she really wanted to play varsity. She's a very strong hitter and a great outfielder, although she's getting a lot of time at 2nd on the varsity team. Luckily for her, the #1 is a great kid and a great leader and has really done a great job of mentoring my daughter. The #1 has a D2 ride setup and is doing what she can to share her experiences.

It doesn't bother me at all.

My DD plays 14u (much to the chagrin of the 18 gold coach in her org). She gets plenty of pitching time on her travel team where she has opportunities for leadership. In the one HS varsity game she did pitch (part of a 3 game tournament on a Saturday), she struck out 8 and gave up just 1 hit. She proved to her team and to herself that she's capable of pitching successfully at that level, and that is enough for her. She's more then happy to contribute to her team in any way she can. While she is incredibly driven to be in the circle, she doesn't have any desire to displace the senior, whom she has a ton of respect for.

All this said, I've just stood in the background (usually deep left field) and watched. It isn't my place to make any of these decisions, it's between my daughter and her coach.

-W

Feb 12, 2013
i believe fr. is talented enough to get share of playing time when not pitching. and i wouldnt use her as a just in case pitcher cuz i want to develop her for the future. the sr. can and would play anywhere, like i say she is a competitor.

Feb 12, 2013
Also i would like to say that i have a second fr. pitcher who i dont feel is ready for varsity but would be a quality jv pitcher. but if 1st fr. pitcher doesnt move up the 2nd fr. wont get the pitching time to develop. 2nd fr. is trying out for varsity.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I bet ya if you asked any TB-A pitcher if they would be happy sharing the circle in HS you might get 1% that would say "sure".

I am surprised that 99% of the HS pitchers would have an issue with sharing mound time considering their chances of getting a college scholarship are probably 90%+ tied to their play in TB vs. HS. I am pretty sure that my DD will have to share mound time when she gets there next year (lucky HS coach will have two A-level TB pitchers in the class of 2017!), and I am hoping that she is still hitting the ball well enough to justify playing another position when she is not pitching!

May 14, 2010
I wouldn't want to think about not having at least 2 P on my varsity roster. HS ball around here does not have time limits so 100-120 pitches are not uncommon for a game. We will sometimes have back to back DH days. I am not going to throw a P for 200- 250 pitches on back to back days. Could she do it? Possibly. Is it right for her? Not in my opinion. Not worth the risk.

Additionally, things happen. If you are relying on #1, what happens if she gets hurt? Has a car accident? Etc. I can't imagine not having a good #2 to carry the team for a time. But that's just me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl