Varsity or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2013
ok, so here it is. Coaching var, i have a sr pitcher who has pitched at this level for 5 yrs. last yr started getting soreness in shoulder, the girl is a competitor can field ,hit ,do just about evrything. my problem is that i dont want to go into season with just one pitcher, not knowing how much of a load my sr can take. i have a fr. who throws really well, she also hits well. im sure she would be a plus to the team. HOWEVER, the mother doesnt want her to be a back up. i know i cant force her to vars. how do i convince mom that this would be a good thing or do i try to develop another pitcher and take my chances?

Dec 19, 2012
If the fr throws very well, have them share the pitching time. We won our conference with a fr and so 1-2 pitching punch. If the sr continues to have shoulder problems you might have to lean on the fr pitcher. Having two pitchers is a luxury at the varsity level for most schools.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Let me get this right, you have a freshman pitcher........and the mom DOESN'T want her playing/pitching varsity? Thats got to be a first.

But seriously, this is pretty cut and dry. YOU'RE the coach, YOU play who you want....where you want. This is no different than you need her daughter to play SS and the mom wants her to play 3b. That's not the moms place.

You can "inform" the mom what you're doing and why, but not in the form of a question.

______ ______ ( senior ) may not be able to throw every game, I'm promoting your DD _______ _______ to help out when needed and give her varsity level experience incase we need to rely on her full time. ( that's it )

Yeah not sure I would pose it as a question...but you have to be 100% sure you are fair to her, not sure exactly what the rules are in your area but if you made her played varsity then sat her on the bench the whole time I would be with Mom and cry FOUL.

She needs at least 25% of the circle time I would think to be fair and then if it is allowed let her pitch some JV games if you can't use her in the field or DH on varsity when she is not pitching.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Any pitcher with soreness in her shoulder needs shut down until you get a release from her doctor. So, in my opinion the Freshman moves up to #1.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Any pitcher with soreness in her shoulder needs shut down until you get a release from her doctor. So, in my opinion the Freshman moves up to #1.

Correct Amy, but the OP said she had pain in her shoulder "last" year. I feel he is more worried the pain might return, and covering the team just incase.

Dec 7, 2011
Normally a very good, non-hurting, senior pitcher I would want to be the sole pitcher for me. I know many have made a 1-2 pitcher mix work but many many times it comes along with lots of drama and pitcher unhappieness. But now throw in the sore shoulder thing and it might change my opinion.

If the sore shoulder thing was a continual nagging issue then I am seeing that you need to get that Freshman onto varsity. If it was just a gripe about a sore shoulder after one of those long weeks/weekends then be careful displacing your senior.

Normally a very good, non-hurting, senior pitcher I would want to be the sole pitcher for me. I know many have made a 1-2 pitcher mix work but many many times it comes along with lots of drama and pitcher unhappieness. But now throw in the sore shoulder thing and it might change my opinion.

If the sore shoulder thing was a continual nagging issue then I am seeing that you need to get that Freshman onto varsity. If it was just a gripe about a sore shoulder after one of those long weeks/weekends then be careful displacing your senior.

Usually their are several games that coaches know in advance are not going to be very challenging and those are the time that your freshman can start and hopefully finish the game. Also if you get a big lead or soreness is worse one day if you move her up you should be able to work her into games...I would not move her up as a "just in case" pitcher. If she is on JV and your #1 is going to be out for 3 or 4 weeks then you should be able to move her up from JV to varsity to pitch those 3 or 4 weeks and she understands she is there because #1 is hurt and it is not a permanent thing and she is doing it to help the team..

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In GA players are able to play JV and Varsity as long as they do not exceed a total number of games (I think it is 25) for the season. Therefore, the freshman could play both - she can pitch JV and dress out for varsity and pitch only if necessary.

Can the freshman play another position on varsity if she is not pitching? I think the mother is worried that her DD will only see game time if the senior gets hurt - kind of like being a backup QB in the NFL, without the big $$$ contract! LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl