team bonding HS vs TB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Our kids are in other softball or other travel sports, band, Future Business Leaders, Honor Society, etc. They are exhausted and want to go home on Saturday and Sunday evenings if something is not happening in one of the other activities. I have never heard of a teen (or myself for that matter) wanting to get up early for practice, never mind a bonding breakfast.

... and the difference is that this is something they view that they get to do instead of have to do.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have never heard of a teen (or myself for that matter) wanting to get up early for practice,

Hmmm.

"Everyone wants to ride the sled to the bottom of the hill. But how many of you are willing to pull it to the top?"

Apr 11, 2012
I have never heard of a teen (or myself for that matter) wanting to get up early for practice, never mind a bonding breakfast.

I know.....it's crazy isn't it.....? But then again, I will say that I've also never heard of a kid who doesn't like to eat something every day when they get up either....

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We do it for travel ball but my daughter's varsity team does because they really are all friends off the field. All of them play for different TB teams but they are always stopping somewhere to eat after the games, staying over at one or the others house after a Friday night game or meeting Saturday morning for work outs then breakfast.

My travel ball team usually catches a local college game with dinner afterwards in the spring and closer to summer once school ball is over they do movie night at my shop. My wife stays there with them. A couple of us dads cook hamburgers on the grill and then leave but back in the morning to cook breakfast after they stop by the Cross-Fit gym beside my shop.

When we travel we all stay at same hotel, reserve hotel restaurant to eat as a team and if time allows some local activity as a team.

None of it is necessary but it sure seems to help.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Look, we are fat enough as it is to go making more eating events for socializing. The kids are closer to better food, probably at their house and they can stay in the ugly sweats (although they do that anyway going out).

What about church on Sunday or going to visit grandma for breakfast? That is a better use of time.

Face it, if it is the adults who want to socialize than do it through the PTA or the Boosters or at our end of year barbecue. I don't know how eating makes our team better.... I actually prefer they stop eating large servings of non home-made, probably processed and over-salted and over-fat laden food.

The more you post, the more obvious it becomes why you see a declining trend in HS softball participation.

Jul 17, 2012
Social Bonding.....I don't believe in forcing the issue. I do believe in encouraging the concept. Sure, you'll have the kid or kids that want nothing to do with any of this. That's OK. Creating a social environment for your players is a positive. Making it mandatory is counter productive. If anything...it boosts the morale of the team.
Look, we are fat enough as it is to go making more eating events for socializing. The kids are closer to better food, probably at their house and they can stay in the ugly sweats (although they do that anyway going out).

What about church on Sunday or going to visit grandma for breakfast? That is a better use of time.

Face it, if it is the adults who want to socialize than do it through the PTA or the Boosters or at our end of year barbecue. I don't know how eating makes our team better.... I actually prefer they stop eating large servings of non home-made, probably processed and over-salted and over-fat laden food.

Now, for OILF....Can you please state some facts about the caloric intake of the average high school softball player? You may be onto something here, but we'd all love to see some data from your studies. You MUST have done some studies to be so confident....right? Do you have statistics of how many of your players visit Grandma on Sundays, and how many home cooked meals they eat per week in relationship to heir Body Mass Index? Do you have a poll on just how ugly softball player's sweats are?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Just bizarre! What else can I say?

Apr 11, 2012
look, we are fat enough as it is to go making more eating events for socializing. The kids are closer to better food, probably at their house and they can stay in the ugly sweats (although they do that anyway going out).

What about church on sunday or going to visit grandma for breakfast? That is a better use of time.

Face it, if it is the adults who want to socialize than do it through the pta or the boosters or at our end of year barbecue. I don't know how eating makes our team better.... I actually prefer they stop eating large servings of non home-made, probably processed and over-salted and over-fat laden food.

"those gd breakfast events are the biggest waste of time i've ever seen....do you realize you could be doing the lord's work or hell, even visit your good old nana......and she's got cream-o-wheat, in the variety box, that's hot and ready to serve at a moments notice.....but don't eat to much of it cause your rear end is getting purdy wide.....know I you pur-fur conversation and such with teammates and with your team's coaching staff, but it's just better time spent....geeze.....did you hear me....?....can you fix me a turkey pot pie before you leave for nana's....?"

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Our kids are in other softball or other travel sports, band, Future Business Leaders, Honor Society, etc. They are exhausted and want to go home on Saturday and Sunday evenings if something is not happening in one of the other activities. I have never heard of a teen (or myself for that matter) wanting to get up early for practice, never mind a bonding breakfast.

Excuses and more excuses. I am sure that they would have no issue camping out most of the night to see the latest movie or to purchase an Apple product. Like anything if it is important to them they have plenty of time and energy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neojapan