Help with swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2024
Hey guys, i have blast motion and I noticed after contact off the tee sometimes that my dd has a little dip in her finish. Any idea what that means and if its a concern, what drills could we do to fix it?

Im guessing she isn’t swinging through it fully after contact and lets off after contact or its because its turning but thats my very uneducated guess. Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_9699.jpeg
    IMG_9699.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9698.jpeg
    IMG_9698.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 12
May 28, 2023
I am a fan of Blast sensors and batted ball outcomes. I generally like the Blast for bat speed and hand speed metrics. But I don't go back and review the simulated swing video stuff in the Blast. I'd rather watch the full training session and preferably a few training sessions.

Don't overthink the training process. Pick some easily measurable outcomes like bat speed and barreled balls with some variations in training situation (live pitch, front flips, side toss, tee and use some different bats) and give the player training time and space to let their body figure out how to improve on those measurable outcomes.

Now, this is where coaching turns into an awesome puzzle - does she have this dip all the time in all situations? Was it at the end of a session where her fatigue level was maybe starting to affect her swing? Is it just some weird post-contact thing? Does it seem to affect your measurable outcomes? If she is barreling the ball consistently and hitting line drives to the outfield, why do we care at all about what she does with the bat post-contact?

Jul 3, 2024
This is excellent advice. Thank you so much.

No, she doesn’t have it all the time. I think its like you said possibly a weird post contact thing.
Ill have to go through the data with and without to see if it affects the measured outcomes. Im not sure it does.

Lastly, very good point. I simply noticed it and thought i would ask. Its easy for me to over think things i guess. She has a habit of keeping her bat somewhat parallel to the ground before she starts her swings at times but it seems to work well for her bat speed so i decided last night to stop trying to correct her. Maybe im wrong in that idk but I get what you’re saying.

Thank you again. I’m doing my best to help her without really knowing what im doing. Ive learned alot since we started and have been trying to keep things simple and fun and she has progressed very fast.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think if I am seeing it correctly she has what I call high speed wobble. It is caused by dumping the barrel and then rolling over her wrist. I reserve the right to be completely wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neojapan