Dealing with Drama from Another Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
This from above...

"Other option is to ask for a meeting with both kids and parents and coaches. Make everyone lay the cards on the table and say let’s move on from this. Then leave it to the parents to manage their kids off the field and coaches manage them on the field. Even if it means cutting them from a game or the team.".

Nip it in the bud.

Oct 14, 2019
This from above...

"Other option is to ask for a meeting with both kids and parents and coaches. Make everyone lay the cards on the table and say let’s move on from this. Then leave it to the parents to manage their kids off the field and coaches manage them on the field. Even if it means cutting them from a game or the team.".

Nip it in the bud.

Jun 14, 2019
There hasn't been too much disruption at school. A few girls have come up to my daughter to say she was saying mean things to this girl, but my daughter is just saying "I didn't do that" and dropping it, not getting into the drama. We have practice tonight so fingers crossed.

Jan 1, 2024
Needing some advice on how to deal with a situation. My daughter joined a new team(12u) this year which she was really excited about. One of her school friends also joined the team. After the first practice she was invited to the 14u practices and asked to play in some 14u tournaments as needed. This team felt like a perfect fit for her.

We had our first scrimmage today and afterwards I get a long message from the school friends mom about how my daughter made rude comments to her daughter during the game. The stuff she was complaining about aren't even things my daughter would say. If she said she put her in a headlock I might believe it, but she just isn't a rude kid. I was in shock she would say this about my daughter. This is not her personality at all. We were sitting close to the dugout and I never heard anything. I asked my daughter and she just looked confused and said all she told her was good hit. The "friend" is always in conflict with someone. I even quit coaching their basketball team because the "friend" and another girl were so much drama they had our school board involved. I anticipated something might happen when I found out they were both on the same team but was hoping it would be fine.

I am really frustrated that they are starting this stuff right off the bat, and because it is a new team I am worried the coaches might believe this stuff about my daughter is true if her mom goes to them and starts saying stuff. Their skill level is markedly different and I think this may be what is driving the made up story. How should I deal with this? Ignore it? Tell the coach? I don't even know. This is not how you want to start with a new team. We are so anti conflict I hate being thrown into this situation.
Welcome to middle school! Guiding pre/early teens through it is quite a chore. These things are certain... all the adults need to talk, get on the same page, and never automatically assume their child is totally innocent!

Apr 6, 2021
Needing some advice on how to deal with a situation. My daughter joined a new team(12u) this year which she was really excited about. One of her school friends also joined the team. After the first practice she was invited to the 14u practices and asked to play in some 14u tournaments as needed. This team felt like a perfect fit for her.

We had our first scrimmage today and afterwards I get a long message from the school friends mom about how my daughter made rude comments to her daughter during the game. The stuff she was complaining about aren't even things my daughter would say. If she said she put her in a headlock I might believe it, but she just isn't a rude kid. I was in shock she would say this about my daughter. This is not her personality at all. We were sitting close to the dugout and I never heard anything. I asked my daughter and she just looked confused and said all she told her was good hit. The "friend" is always in conflict with someone. I even quit coaching their basketball team because the "friend" and another girl were so much drama they had our school board involved. I anticipated something might happen when I found out they were both on the same team but was hoping it would be fine.

I am really frustrated that they are starting this stuff right off the bat, and because it is a new team I am worried the coaches might believe this stuff about my daughter is true if her mom goes to them and starts saying stuff. Their skill level is markedly different and I think this may be what is driving the made up story. How should I deal with this? Ignore it? Tell the coach? I don't even know. This is not how you want to start with a new team. We are so anti conflict I hate being thrown into this situation.

Apr 6, 2021

Apr 6, 2021
I am a HS Coach. I would ask the coach if he would speak with the opposing coach and ask if any thing was said
Parents should parents and coaches need to coach. If any thing more comes up tell the parent that you and your daughter and the the other player and her mother or father would like to sit down and hear it straight from the players. As a coach I have a rule no drama or you will not be playing very long for us

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neojapan