Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The tilt back over the hip socket just looks terrible. It hurts my back just watching it.. The head/eyes moving all over the place while you are trying to hit a moving object is not a good idea. He says somethings I agree with. Like loading on every pitch and then deciding to swing or not. But that is pretty much common sense.

Oct 2, 2017
The tilt back over the hip socket just looks terrible. It hurts my back just watching it.. The head/eyes moving all over the place while you are trying to hit a moving object is not a good idea. He says somethings I agree with. Like loading on every pitch and then deciding to swing or not. But that is pretty much common sense.
I personally tend to view it as: when the lower half starts to "Turn" or fire, the Upper half is resisting. This act of resisting with back and upper half will automatically start to be pulled into tilt over the rear hip socket. Just IMO

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If you were to ask for what player I tried to model my dd and my players after it would be Albert Pujols. For what I teach, I don't see Griffy getting the coil on his back inner thigh that I coach which also means that I don't see that pressure in that thigh and back knee. I also don't see Griffy getting his front hip "in the way to get it out of the way." Though it is slight, it is important for what I coach. From there, I believe in things like X-stretch. Back in the day, they talked about the Seprape Effect where the front hip is tied to the back shoulder.

Finally, I believe that "pulling the bow back" is a subtle move while the hitter "tips and rips." Griffy goes back farther with this action than I would like. I am not a fan of his swing but who am I. He is in the Hall of Fame, I might get to visit it if I am lucky.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06