Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
Manny comes to full stop at hesitation: Hip is already turned; in TM lingo, leg/hip have already snapped forward; lead foot is already down. Question: what keeps the upper torso back? Why has he not turned the barrel if TM's two engine model is high level? Where is the center of mass when he gets to hesitation? Where does the snap of swing come from now? I do not think it is over the rear leg when he launches.

Subtract the hesitation, you still get his game swing....Explain...
The load is taught as a spiral from the rear leg up through the back by coiling rearward. The upper torso can stay back because of this way of loading. The hands are pulling back but not in the traditional way that involves the arms stretching. If a hitter used momentum and laterally shift through the pelvis from back to front, you would probably see a forward shift of the upper body and the knob of the barrel pushing forward. Depending on how much weight gets in to the front foot and amount of momentum generated.

We often use a take drill to check load and sequence. To an HLP hitter, the load is the swing. A lot of different drills involve not swinging. That's the best I can say as to why he didn't TTB.

Balance is over the rear hip. We do a lot of one legged drills with the focus of staying over the rear hip.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
Your last question is where does the snap of the swing come from now?

Several things contribute to the snap of the swing besides the obvious of TTB with your hand and forearms. This video shows how the body helps TTB. To me the tilt and the on and around is one of the most misunderstood parts of the HLP swing but that's what creates a lot of the bat speed and launch quickness in the hitter.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I know what you mean by this (because you have shown what you mean previously) but alone this statement means nothing..they have a "relationship" even after whatever you are trying to avoid happens...it just isn't the one you want :ROFLMAO: Just from a teaching/explanation purpose I think you need to figure out a different way of saying this..

Yea, when teaching kids the rear leg hip relationship I show a visual as well. On this board the attempt is to be consistent with the message.. Feel free to correct since you understand what I mean. Maybe I should pull a Rich and make up new terms daily to remain relevant.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yea, when teaching kids the rear leg hip relationship I show a visual as well. On this board the attempt is to be consistent with the message.. Feel free to correct since you understand what I mean. Maybe I should pull a Rich and make up new terms daily to remain relevant.
Relax..I was just trying to make the “message” more accessible to everybody…do what you want.

• Haha
Reactions: TDS
Apr 1, 2014
Your last question is where does the snap of the swing come from now?

Several things contribute to the snap of the swing besides the obvious of TTB with your hand and forearms. This video shows how the body helps TTB. To me the tilt and the on and around is one of the most misunderstood parts of the HLP swing but that's what creates a lot of the bat speed and launch quickness in the hitter.

Manny's hesitation demonstrates in my calculation, an argument against the central dogma that the swing is the transmission of forces from the ground up. What if I said that the driving rear hip creates a fulcrum that frames the eventual direction of the swing, that the key forces actually resides in the upper torso. The upper torso acts through this fulcrum that leverages direction, force and houses the mechanism in the hitter's decision to launch.

The tenet that forces are transmitted through a series of linkages in an open chain from the ground up may not be true. The snap of the Manny's hesitation may in fact be derived from forces in the upper torso: This creates a teleological advantage in placing the source generator precisely at the key linkage for the output of the system, the top hand with the bat.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The load is taught as a spiral from the rear leg up through the back by coiling rearward. The upper torso can stay back because of this way of loading. The hands are pulling back but not in the traditional way that involves the arms stretching. If a hitter used momentum and laterally shift through the pelvis from back to front, you would probably see a forward shift of the upper body and the knob of the barrel pushing forward. Depending on how much weight gets in to the front foot and amount of momentum generated.

We often use a take drill to check load and sequence. To an HLP hitter, the load is the swing. A lot of different drills involve not swinging. That's the best I can say as to why he didn't TTB.

Balance is over the rear hip. We do a lot of one legged drills with the focus of staying over the rear hip.
Mike, now I'm confused. Where does the unload then come in? When you discuss the stop swings or check swings in a real at-bat, what you are stopping is the unload.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Manny's hesitation demonstrates in my calculation, an argument against the central dogma that the swing is the transmission of forces from the ground up. What if I said that the driving rear hip creates a fulcrum that frames the eventual direction of the swing, that the key forces actually resides in the upper torso. The upper torso acts through this fulcrum that leverages direction, force and houses the mechanism in the hitter's decision to launch.

The tenet that forces are transmitted through a series of linkages in an open chain from the ground up may not be true. The snap of the Manny's hesitation may in fact be derived from forces in the upper torso: This creates a teleological advantage in placing the source generator precisely at the key linkage for the output of the system, the top hand with the bat.

Ok. This is pretty good. But that could be said about TTB as well..

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Ok. This is pretty good. But that could be said about TTB as well..
it’s described as two gears acting upon each other. The opposing direction of how one loads the different body parts is as important to the loading process and the achievement of the swing. Technically the body doesn’t unload but directs the energy created into the bat at launch. I think of it very similar to underhand fast pitch.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA