Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
The perfect throw helps teach a few things. Staying inside 90 degrees with the elbow, allowing a rhythm or flow (feeling if the arm unraveling), and teaching proper kinetic chain timing because if you open chest to target to soon the ball clunks you in the back.

I will dwell on this for awhile and watch video.

I don't let the girls disappear the ball that far behind there head or what I say not staying in the mirror. You happen to have a hitting video of him? See if he disappears his bat and has a circular swing? He ever have shoulder surgery?

SL
I don’t actually think that Nolan Ryan was a very good hitter. Never seen him hit. He did stay healthy for an insanely long time throwing very hard though.

I’m intrigued by the hitting vs throwing relationship. My guess is that it is not cause and effect but merely a correlation. For example, my DD is extremely loose and flexible (what some would call double jointed). She can get into (and out of) positions that I cannot as a much tighter person physically. I have always said it’s easier to teach someone to hit that is tighter/less flexible. Their movements are smaller and less exaggerated. I wonder if that is what you are seeing with the perceived throwing and hitting relationship.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I don’t actually think that Nolan Ryan was a very good hitter. Never seen him hit. He did stay healthy for an insanely long time throwing very hard though.

I’m intrigued by the hitting vs throwing relationship. My guess is that it is not cause and effect but merely a correlation. For example, my DD is extremely loose and flexible (what some would call double jointed). She can get into (and out of) positions that I cannot as a much tighter person physically. I have always said it’s easier to teach someone to hit that is tighter/less flexible. Their movements are smaller and less exaggerated. I wonder if that is what you are seeing with the perceived throwing and hitting relationship.
Its really about a bat path straight back/straight through the ball. They hit like they throw.
Did not recognize Nolan. What a great movie I seen of him a few weeks ago. Facing Nolan. He's a true southern gentleman. Would love to shake his hand....:)

SL

Jun 8, 2016
Its really about a bat path straight back/straight through the ball. They hit like they throw.
CX3qC68.gif

2iTiOFG.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Thanks for the gif. I think it kinda proves my point...He throws just a little behind his head, and he hits about the same amount. His hands hitting go about same distance on elbow lift. Not saying it is 100% that way but with girls I would say 95% that way

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Thanks for proving my point. He throws just a little behind his head, and he hits about the same amount. His hands hitting go about same distance on elbow lift
There is more to throwing than just a pull back but ok you win. I won't pick on you or the guy you invited on here after I said he needed a muzzle..

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
There is more to throwing than just a pull back but ok you win.
Was not trying to compete with you or win anything. My whole point is you hit like you throw for girls. Been my point all the way through. I teach throwing like Howard did. Could I be better, know the mechanics better, sure. That's part of posting on sites is to get other opinions.
All good

SL

Jun 8, 2016
Was not trying to compete with you or win anything.
Maybe not but once I started questioning things (or maybe when I pointed out the, IMO, obnoxious Dad..) you started throwing cheap shots at me.. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever, teach how and what you want. As with all instructors some of your kids have nice swings and throw well and some don't (IMO). I honestly just like arguing..lol.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Not me but here it is in action

OK I have watched video over and over. Pattar feel free to help me out here. The mechanics of throwing. I have the girls take the ball and turn it away some, but not completely towards catcher and keep elbow as high as shoulder or a little higher, turn the ball over and tuck glove a little past your body to use both sides of your body in unison.
He takes the ball turns it down and back up to the place I start the ball. Is this circular motion better than straight back? What is the benefit?

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Maybe not but once I started questioning things (or maybe when I pointed out the, IMO, obnoxious Dad..) you started throwing cheap shots at me.. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever, teach how and what you want. As with all instructors some of your kids have nice swings and throw well and some don't (IMO). I honestly just like arguing..lol.
I found it funny you said something about the dad. I sent the mom a link to this site and we chuckled about the comment you made. It was funny. I just posted a few more of there voices. By the way, your mistaken. I don't think her dad uses a computer much, if any besides work.
I would not call it a cheap shot. Just making fun of you a bit...:)

SL

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Per the name of this post wanted to clarify. I met Bustos twice. Worked a station at one of her and Howards clinics. Probably 15 years ago...
I lived 30 minutes from Carrier, and to pay him back was his carpenter. I built all his hitting devices and fixed everything around his house until he passed. Even helped the wife clean out the garage.
This swing is based on Bustos. Howard may or not have talked to her over the years about me, have no clue. I know she has ruthless softball. HAs teams in different cities and has instructional stuff. I have no idea what is on them, never seen one. I would have to think a lot of what Howard taught me.

SL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA