Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
What is the goal here?

rvc94Rp.gif

Some girls get arm pain with ball behind the head. The arm pain is top of shoulder front and back

So women should throw differently than men? When men properly throw the arm goes through external rotation..

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
rvc94Rp.gif

So women should throw differently than men? When men properly throw the arm goes through external rotation..
You have missed the point all the way through out this thread. If the player in white was in front of a mirror he loads arm straight back the way I see it not disappear the ball way behind his head?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You have missed the point all the way through out this thread. If the player in white was in front of a mirror he loads arm straight back the way I see it not disappear the ball way behind his head?
No, the ball would disappear behind his head. At least partially.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The point is the arm goes through external rotation. Behind the head or not depends on arm slot.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Uh oh..somebody isn't being so accommodating anymore. What's wrong?

The perfect throw trainer shown simulates the action that Ichiro ("guy in white.." 😂 ) is demonstrating.
Still missing the point, you can only lead them to water...:) its not the arm action, it is wrapping a ball behind your head ( around the corner) standing in front of a mirror.

SL

Jun 8, 2016
Still missing the point, you can only lead them to water...:) its not the arm action, it is wrapping a ball behind your head ( around the corner) standing in front of a mirror.

SL
You asked what the goal of the arm trainer was. I answered. Yeah the ball doesn't get behind the head in a direction towards the target (eg coronal plane..I am not even sure I can do that if I tried) but it does get behind him in the sagittal plane which is what the "still" was showing.

Some of the kids you showed throw fine and some have the classic "L drill" throwing pattern 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
What is the goal here?
In the still you posted his hand with ball is behind his head. Some girls get arm pain with ball behind the head. The arm pain is top of shoulder front and back. You take your ball behind your head throwing, you take your hands with bat behind your head hitting. This will create a partial circular swing, or a circular swing depending on how far you go behind your head.
The hands behind the head will make you short through the zone.

But will watch video to see what I can get out of it....Thanks

SL
The perfect throw helps teach a few things. Staying inside 90 degrees with the elbow, allowing a rhythm or flow (feeling if the arm unraveling), and teaching proper kinetic chain timing because if you open chest to target to soon the ball clunks you in the back.

Would you consider this ball to be behind his head in the picture below? Trying to understand what you mean by that.

Attachments

• 7DB76E5C-CA2A-46CC-B717-8551F0841902.jpeg
    7DB76E5C-CA2A-46CC-B717-8551F0841902.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 17
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
The perfect throw helps teach a few things. Staying inside 90 degrees with the elbow, allowing a rhythm or flow (feeling if the arm unraveling), and teaching proper kinetic chain timing because if you open chest to target to soon the ball clunks you in the back.

Would you consider this ball to be behind his head in the picture below? Trying to understand what you mean by that.

I will dwell on this for awhile and watch video.

I don't let the girls disappear the ball that far behind there head or what I say not staying in the mirror. You happen to have a hitting video of him? See if he disappears his bat and has a circular swing? He ever have shoulder surgery?

SL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA