Strategy Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Catcher throws to the shortstop who is coming in as she throws, and let's hope runner on 3rd takes off for a play at the plate. Has worked numerous times for me.
If I’m coaching 3rd I tell the runner not to even take a lead off third in this situation. That run means nothing!

Oct 26, 2019
💯 but not what usually happens for whatever reason ( well I know the reason 😂)
There are so many things I laugh at when it comes to strategy at the younger levels. One of my go to moves late in games with the winning run on third and less than 2 outs is to bring any weak armed outfielder into the infield. I’ve gone with no outfielders before at 10U. If it’s hit out there the games over anyway. Plus it’s funny to see the other coaches reaction when you see 7 infielders haha.

Jun 8, 2016
There are so many things I laugh at when it comes to strategy at the younger levels. One of my go to moves late in games with the winning run on third and less than 2 outs is to bring any weak armed outfielder into the infield. I’ve gone with no outfielders before at 10U. If it’s hit out there the games over anyway. Plus it’s funny to see the other coaches reaction when you see 7 infielders haha.
Marcela’s coach did that with CF a few tournaments ago.

Oct 26, 2019
Marcela’s coach did that with CF a few tournaments ago.
If an outfielder can’t throw the runner out at home on a fly ball in that situation they aren’t doing you any good out there. At least bring them in shallow where they can make the throw.

Oct 26, 2019
At this level anything can happen, most of it not good. I have seen the CF come charging in to backup the throw and get too close, the ball gets past her and the trail runner scores easily.
I could see that happening, but if it does then my team needs work and we don’t deserve to win anyway. We need to learn to throw and catch better :)

May 16, 2016
Fake throw to 2nd, then throw down to 3rd, if that runner bites on the fake. After runner steals 2nd, I am going to walk the batter, and load bases, to give me a force out at any bag.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
At a certain point,
these are situations that challenge players to grow.

Avoiding that is avoiding growing!

Feb 13, 2021
Fake throw to 2nd. Try to get the base runner on 3rd picked off. I wouldn't want that runner on 3rd to score. Only because I know how quickly things can get out of hand with errors and runs coming in. That's not a huge lead. Unless you actually have a girl that has a cannon behind the plate and you know she can get the job done. But 12U.... Probably not the case.

Jun 8, 2016
12u B level Sunday bracket game. Time has officially expired, finish the inning.

Visitors batting, trailing 5-3
1 out
Runners 1st and 3rd, both average speed
#2 hitter at the plate is 0-1, BB on the day
#3 hitter follows and is 1-2 with two hard hit balls

Catcher has average arm but its 12B. I’d estimate 25-30% chance of throwing out sn average speed runner stealing 2nd with 5% chance ball ends up in CF and runner advances to third.

First game of the day, pitcher is fresh and at 50 pitches.

It’s clear runner at 1B plans to steal second. One coach wants to let trail runner take the bag on next pitch without a throw. Other coach wants to throw down.

Knowing just the above and needing to make a decision in 30 seconds—-How would you play it?
So what happened? Don't leave us hanging...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles