Another Strategy Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I want the throw made for a couple reasons. First being development and learning. The second is telling the other team that you’re not giving up free bases. Make the runner earn it and have to beat the throw. It’s 12u. Let her make the throw. Encourage her to throw. Tell her, and your team, you trust them to make the play (even if maybe you don’t).

May 29, 2019
12u B level Sunday bracket game. Time has officially expired, finish the inning.

Visitors batting, trailing 5-4
1 out
Runner on 1st, average speed
Catcher has average arm but its 12B. I’d estimate 25-30% chance of throwing out an average speed runner stealing 2nd with 5% chance ball ends up in CF and runner advances to third.

First game of the day, pitcher is fresh and at 50 pitches.
It’s clear runner at 1B plans to steal second. One coach wants to let runner steal the base on next pitch without a throw. Other coach wants to throw down.

Knowing just the above and needing to make a decision in 30 seconds—-How would you play it?
To me, it's a no-brainer to begin with: You cannot let the tying run into scoring position uncontested in this situation. That's assuming you don't have some outlier such as a hurt catcher, ect...

Then to throw in your conditions of "25-30% chance of throwing out" and only a "5% chance ball ends up in CF and runner advances to third" :unsure: It's practically all reward, no risk.

Make the throw, and fire the coach that wants to allow the steal. :ROFLMAO:

May 29, 2015
May i please finish that sentence...

... their catcher is not very good,
because she has not been given the opportunity to grow by being challenged with goals to THROW RUNNERS OUT!

For catchers a critical point to be made~
That while we can work on explosive agility and throwing at practice,
The majority of our real training comes in a game-time situation with a pitcher, batter and runners on base.
in my opinion,
it is critical to challenge catcher's to develop our throwing skill sets.= pop times!

Throwing/pop time is far more then just throwing a ball!
It is learning reacting to the situation with a batter standing in front of us, a live pitcher and pitch going anywhere. While applying
the awareness with reaction to seeing a runner, and/or listening react to the yell of going.
With the instance of pressure throwing to 2nd when no-one is there yet...

*** It is critical to throw the ball if you want to grow as a catcher!
And GROW not only your CATCHER,
But GROW your TEAM!

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT!

110%

You need to ask yourself why you are there. {cue melodramatic music} You know that little trophy you won because you didn't let Carrie-Catches-Alot ever throw to second base? It's nice and shiny. And now the world is a cesspool because you never gave her the chance to build confidence, so she never raised her hand in class, never sought out to learn more, never excelled, didn't end up running for President, and never changed the world. But your trophy is shiny.

Plastic today or gold tomorrow?

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Your strategy will depend on how well your players can throw and catch.

If you have confidence in them absolutely throw down. If the previous outcomes have been a disaster....well what has changed?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee