Strategy Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
There is no way I am throwing down in a 12u B game. There are so many things that could go wrong. You are assuming the worst case is a run scored and a runner on second.

There is zero chance I am intentionally walking anyone either. In 12u B you can easily intentionally walk bases loaded and then walk the next batter as well.

You need your pitcher to get her “one” out for the inning. Let her work.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Knowing just the above and needing to make a decision in 30 seconds—-How would you play it?

If there is a throw down, runner at 3B will score even if you get an out at 2B. (College teams struggle to execute a 2-6-2 double play.)

Worst case scenario: C throws ball into CF, runners score, game tied.
Likely scenario: Runner at 3B scores, and the runner at 2B is safe. 5-4 with one out.
Best case scenario: Runner at 3B scores, other runner thrown out, and there are two outs.

What would I do: Fake a throw to 2B, and hope 3B bites.

No matter what you do, the parents won't approve.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Knowing just the above and needing to make a decision in 30 seconds—-How would you play it?
This is a key question. The coach and the players better have a plan before they get in this situation...because it happens all the time. You are better off practicing this scenrio over and over and over than practicing a 6-4-3 double play. The def should know what to do and the coaches should be very succint in what their plan is. More things go wrong than good in the 1st/3rd situation. I really am surprised what happens every time I see this play. I have the 3b runner get caught sleeping or being over agressive and gets snagged. If you can think of the scenario, I have seen it. Done well and not so well.

DD's old 18U team practiced this alot.

I think at the younger levels, you will see the delayed steal to 2nd and just walk into the base. I would be practicing for this all day every day. Get the ball to the pitcher. Let the runner get 15 feet away and then throw it at the bag with SS waiting. Quick tag. Do not throw the ball when the runner is halfway...this is the key. Now that the SS has the ball, and the tag has been swiftly applied anticipate the runner going home.

The worst scenario is the runner gets 2b and the 3b runner scores or if you throw it CF both runners score. My mind is going in circles thinking about the what ifs.

Practice, practice, and then practice more.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Your defensive strategy depends on how well your players can throw and catch.

The way the ball gets thrown around, in many 12u games the runner at first is in scoring position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802