Strategy Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
Defense: Let the steal happen. Try and strike out the first batter, Walk the next batter by throwing nothing but change ups or fastballs way outside hoping she chases one a couple. Bases loaded with force everywhere .... or pop up.

Offense: We are showing bunt to try and get a less than clean throw from the catcher and stealing, next pitch laying down a bunt toward third. Either they go 1 and we score with a runner on third with 2 outs. Or bases are loaded.

Jun 4, 2017
I'm having a hard time understanding why you wouldn't attempt to throw the runner out stealing second. Why would this situation be any different than if it was a 1 run game with runner on first and one out? I don't think any team would just allow the tying run to steal second and get in scoring position without a throw.

May 29, 2015
It all depends on your confidence in your catcher and your offense.

If you are confident your catcher will get the out, take the out for the run trade every day. If your catcher is likely to throw the ball away, let the runner go and hold the run. I wouldn't be willing to give up the run for nothing though.

If you are confident in your offense (I believe you said you were home and would have an at bat left), take the gamble.

Jul 22, 2015
I'm having a hard time understanding why you wouldn't attempt to throw the runner out stealing second. Why would this situation be any different than if it was a 1 run game with runner on first and one out? I don't think any team would just allow the tying run to steal second and get in scoring position without a throw.
You still see MLB teams give them the base in this situation about 1/4 of the time. I know some people don't want to believe that but I see it all the time. My thought in this situation is that I'm not giving them runs without making them hit the ball. I'm giving the base or maybe running a safe play to try and throw out the runner at 3 or draw them off. I might be more prone to go after the out If I don't have confidence in my pitcher though.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD college team was playing Extra Innings. They were up 5-4 in the bottom of the 9th. 1 out. Runner on 1st and 3rd. Runner attempts to Steal, DD guns her out at 2nd. Runner on 3rd is tying run, stayed at 3rd. Now we got 2 outs. Batter strikes out, game over. I have video, but I can't download a .mov file.

Oct 26, 2019
This ^^^^

Even if you don’t have confidence in your catcher it’s an opportunity for her to improve and execute in a pressure situation. Like I said earlier - if the catcher throws it away AND it gets by the center fielder backing up then you deserve to lose. Plus it’s 12U so even if you do lose it’s valuable learning for the players.

The right play in that situation is to throw to second. I would love to see video of a MLB team just letting them go to second uncontested. Now if the catcher has a bad pitch to throw on and chooses to eat it knowing the runner is safe then that’s different.

Jul 22, 2015
I would love to see video of a MLB team just letting them go to second uncontested.
If you watch much MLB it happens pretty often when the score is within 1 or 2 runs and they trust the pitcher. Certainly depends on the baserunners, pitcher, and catcher but I'd guess about 1/4 of the time I'm watching they just let it go.

Oct 26, 2019
If you watch much MLB it happens pretty often when the score is within 1 or 2 runs and they trust the pitcher. Certainly depends on the baserunners, pitcher, and catcher but I'd guess about 1/4 of the time I'm watching they just let it go.
In the exact situation described by the OP? I think what you are referencing is the closers that lift their leg so high and are so slow to the plate that the catcher just eats it because they know they have no chance. Many MLB closers totally ignore the runners in every situation. I don’t think that’s apples to oranges in softball where holding runners on isn’t a thing.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm in the I don't know why you wouldn't throw camp. If it was a 1 run game it's different. My only exception would be if I didn't have a good CF to back up the throw but that's it. If I was on offense I would have the runner checking to make sure the C doesn't throw through. Too many coaches don't think about the score in games. I'll see teams up 3 or so runs in the last inning playing the IF in with the bases loaded.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
If you are convinced the runner from first is going and the runner at 3rd is not the tying run then use a pitchout.

This is one of many reasons to have it and we do.