Some rules to Ponder.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
First of all Coach, where in the he** did you find a physical copy of a USSSA rulebook?!

(Second, you’re outta’ here.)

If you want to show me I’m wrong, you have to do it over a beer after the day is over. And you have to buy. I’m happy to listen then.

Oct 11, 2018
USSSA RULES:

Which actions are "automatic" ejections?

i) Profanity
ii) Deliberately throwing a bat or equipment
iii) Malicious contact
iv) Fighting
v) Leaving the bench to join a brawl
vi) Bringing a rules book (hard copy or electronic) on the field
In about 20 years of coaching the only time i got ejected was when i pulled out a rule book. It was after the PU wrongly called the 5th illegal pitch in the late inning of a close game that negated a fine catch by my F4 in foul territory. He kept saying it was a rule violation per the book and would not check with his partner. Finally when he said read the damn book, i couldn't resist and puled it out. That's why they make cargo shorts! [girl was removing hair out of her face in 25 mph winds. not illegal]

Oct 11, 2018
What did you see? Maybe the umpire saw something different.
LOL. After 5 conversations with the umpire i was very clear on what he was seeing and what he was saying. there was no discrepancy on what she was doing, only discrepancy between the rule book and what umpire was ruling. His understanding was that if a player touched her hair she had to wipe it off before pitching. Find that in a rule book. I did ask if he thought she was putting a foreign substance on the ball. He insisted she could not touch her hair.

Jun 22, 2008
LOL. After 5 conversations with the umpire i was very clear on what he was seeing and what he was saying. there was no discrepancy on what she was doing, only discrepancy between the rule book and what umpire was ruling. His understanding was that if a player touched her hair she had to wipe it off before pitching. Find that in a rule book. I did ask if he thought she was putting a foreign substance on the ball. He insisted she could not touch her hair.

The only thing the rule book says specifically that the hand must be wiped is if they lick their fingers. I have run into a couple of umpires that insisted they hand had to be wiped if they touched their hair, and I have always asked them to find that in the rule book. It isn't there, nor is there any case play that even remotely supports it.

Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. As Comp has already pointed out, the umpire was using an incorrect rule interpretation.

May 29, 2015
What, did he think she had some Bardol going on up there? I mean, it will give you 2-3 inches drop on your curveball. (Along with Crisco or Vagisil.) If he was watching real close, he would have seen her rub a little jalapeno inside her nose ...

The only time I have asked (not insisted or called it) a pitcher to "wipe off" outside of licking her fingers was a girl that would adjust her face mask and it looked like she was going to her mouth because of the way she did it. She would poke her index and middle finger through the mask and grab the mask with her ring and pinky fingers with the index and middle fingers still outstretched. I couldn't tell if they actually were touching her mouth or not.

Between innings the opposing coach questioned it on his way to coach first base. I told him it looked funny to me, but I didn't see her mouth open or her tongue come out. Afterwards I said something to her coach and asked him to just have her "wipe off" to avoid any issues. He did, she did, everybody was happy. It was odd though.

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES:

201. A line drive hit ball is snared by F6. The force of the hit pulls the glove off her hand and carries it to the outfield grass.

Ruling - LIVE BALL; NO CATCH is ruled when, immediately after grasping, the fielder fails to maintain possession of the ball. This is also NOT a detached equipment violation since the glove is off the hand due to the force of the line drive and not deliberately thrown at the ball (3.Catch.B.7, p 19; 8.14.B.1, p 47)

202. There are runners on first and second bases with no outs when the batter uses a slashing motion in an attempt to bat the ball over F5. The ball loops into the air about 10 feet and then falls to the ground behind the infielder and between home plate and third base. F5 would have been able to catch the ball if she had been playing her normal fielding position.

Ruling - LIVE BALL; however, the Infield Fly Rule is not applicable if the batted ball can not be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort. Ordinary effort should be judged based on the infielder's ACTUAL positioning -- not where the fielder would normally play (3.INFIELD FLY, p 22)

203. Team A has no available substitutes. R1, who is the third batter and also F9, is on third base with two outs. B4, the catcher, gets a walk. B4 could be replaced by B2 as an LCAB courtesy runner, but B2 is a slow runner so the coach does not want to make the switch. The next pitch to B5 is a wild pitch and R1 (who is also B3) scores. The coach requests time and now wants to insert the just scored B3 as the LCAB courtesy runner for the catcher, B4.

Ruling - LEGAL. The Last Completed at Bat (LCAB) Courtesy Runner is determined at the time the Courtesy Runner is requested, and may be made any time after the pitcher or catcher reaches base. With B5 still at bat, the LCAB prior to B4 is B3, since she is not on base, is not the pitcher or catcher of record, and has not already courtesy run in the inning for the pitcher (8.3, p 41-42)

204. R1 attempts to steal second base. The throw from the catcher, not a hard throw, glances off R1's helmet. R1 appears not to be injured by the throw but rather acts anxious and upset just by the fact of being hit in the head. The offensive coach asks for a replacement runner for R1. The team has no eligible substitutes available.

Ruling - if the runner exhibits any signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion, she should be immediately removed from the game and the concussion protocol enforced. A batter-runner or runner who is injured (removal under the concussion protocol would constitute injury, whether obvious or not) when no substitute is available may be replaced by an LCAB runner to fulfill her base running responsibility (5.2.A.1 EXCEPTION, p 30; 5.9.B, p 33; USSSA Concussion Protocol, p 74)

205. The pitcher is injured and has to leave the game. The defensive team does not have a substitute pitcher warming up or the substitute has just started to warm-up in the bullpen.

Ruling - When a relief pitcher replaces a pitcher who is injured, the umpire is authorized to grant the reliever additional warm-up pitches in excess of the five pitch/one minute limit (6.1.L EXCEPTION, p 36)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying