Some rules to Ponder.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2018
Can you go into this a little more? What is the "something"? A catcher simply tagging isn't enough, then?
its got to be obvious to the umpire that the player is making an appeal. I'll give 2 examples.

1. Throw to 1st base is late. runner ran past 1st base but didn't touch the base. 1st baseman is now standing on the bag with the ball. Do you call the runner out? No. it just looks like a late throw. But if the first baseman yells to the umpire, she missed the bag, now you can call the runner out because a) the fielder touched the bag and b) she made a verbal action that told the umpire she was making an appeal. Just standing on the base would not have been obvious to the umpire that F3 was trying to make an appeal.

2. Runner on 2nd base. Fly ball to the F8. Runner took off at the crack of the bat but F8 caught the ball. F8 quickly throws the ball in to F4 who steps on the bag before the runner can return to tag up. In this case, it is obvious to the umpire that F8 & F4 were making appeal on the runner who left early. In this case the fielders don't even need to say anything. Their action is enough to alert the umpire that they are making an appeal.

3. In the case of the catcher going after the runner who missed home. best thing to do is step on home and say she missed it or tag the runner and say she missed the plate. That notifies the umpire the defender is making an appeal. It might also be obvious without the verbal, but in this case it does help clarify why the catcher is stepping on home. if she has to chase the runner and slaps a tag on, that should be obvious without the verbal.

does that help?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
its got to be obvious to the umpire that the player is making an appeal. I'll give 2 examples.

1. Throw to 1st base is late. runner ran past 1st base but didn't touch the base. 1st baseman is now standing on the bag with the ball. Do you call the runner out? No. it just looks like a late throw. But if the first baseman yells to the umpire, she missed the bag, now you can call the runner out because a) the fielder touched the bag and b) she made a verbal action that told the umpire she was making an appeal. Just standing on the base would not have been obvious to the umpire that F3 was trying to make an appeal.

2. Runner on 2nd base. Fly ball to the F8. Runner took off at the crack of the bat but F8 caught the ball. F8 quickly throws the ball in to F4 who steps on the bag before the runner can return to tag up. In this case, it is obvious to the umpire that F8 & F4 were making appeal on the runner who left early. In this case the fielders don't even need to say anything. Their action is enough to alert the umpire that they are making an appeal.

3. In the case of the catcher going after the runner who missed home. best thing to do is step on home and say she missed it or tag the runner and say she missed the plate. That notifies the umpire the defender is making an appeal. It might also be obvious without the verbal, but in this case it does help clarify why the catcher is stepping on home. if she has to chase the runner and slaps a tag on, that should be obvious without the verbal.

does that help?

It does, and I was going to ask "should the catcher say that she missed the plate."

My problem with this is... I can see a lot of catchers not being willing to question the safe call (because, let's be honest, most players aren't going to understand this particular type of appeal play and will assume the umpire just made a mistake).

Does the player have to do the appeal part? Can I, having seen what happened from the dugout, yell "Tag her! She missed home plate!"

Oct 11, 2018
It does, and I was going to ask "should the catcher say that she missed the plate."

My problem with this is... I can see a lot of catchers not being willing to question the safe call (because, let's be honest, most players aren't going to understand this particular type of appeal play and will assume the umpire just made a mistake).

Does the player have to do the appeal part? Can I, having seen what happened from the dugout, yell "Tag her! She missed home plate!"

I'll quote the USA rule supplement which may differ slightly from other codes (not sure): ".......an appeal may be made during a live ball by any fielder in possession of the ball......" The fielder has to be the one making the appeal (obviously), but a coach yelling followed by a fielder running and tagging the runner or the base would clearly tell me the fielder is making an appeal, even without the fielder saying it. I would expect other umpires to treat it the same, just no guarantee. Clearly the umpire heard the coach and then saw the catcher react. Definite appeal play.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Flash, I love these plays. Let me announce that I haven't done a USSSA sanctioned event in maybe 15 years so I don't know the rules or have the book, but the Ruling to 181. seems incomplete.

It was an illegal pitch that was swung at and hit the batter. I understand we call that a strike in probably every sanction and if it were the 3rd strike we would rule OUT. But then don't we have to give coach the option of the play or the penalty for an illegal pitch. The ruling does not mention the option. I understand she swung, but you can always swing at an illegal pitch. if you get lucky, great. if you don't advance to 1st and other runners dont advance 1 base, coach usually gets option. why is that not mentioned here?

Thanks

I have the same thing @jackfrost ... illegal pitch. The only effect of her swinging and it hitting her is that R1 cannot steal (dead ball). It’s still an illegal pitch, so the batter will end up with a ball not a strike (unless her coach is daft).

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES (I somehow missed 186-190)

191. The batter hits a ground ball that zigzags along the baseline and bounces directly over any part of the bag at first or third bases and then settles in foul territory.

Ruling - LIVE BALL and a FAIR BALL; a batted ball which is on or over fair territory including any part of first or third base when bounding to the outfield is a fair ball (3.FAIR BALL.B, p 20)

192. R1 is on second base with one out. B3 hits a pitched ball out in front of home plate toward third base and is obstructed from running to first base by F2. F1 fields the batted ball and throws R1 out at third base. F5's relay throw to first base is in time to retire B3.

Ruling - DELAYED DEAD BALL is signaled and OBSTRUCTION is called at the time of the infraction, followed by a DEAD BALL when the obstructed runner is PUT OUT. This is not catcher obstruction (which has its own special rules governing the hindrance of a batter's swing) -- this is obstruction by a fielder who happens to be the catcher.

The out on R1 stands; the out on B3 does NOT, and she is awarded first base. An obstructed runner may not be put out between the two bases where the runner was obstructed unless an exception applies (8.13.D, p 36)

193. The batter hits a pitched ball on the ground toward an infielder; however, the bat slips from her hands and the bat follows in the direction of the ball. The infielder, who is playing the ball, has to jump out of the way to avoid being hit by the bat, and is unable to make a play on the batter-runner.

Ruling - DEAD BALL and the batter is OUT for INTERFERENCE. If a whole bat is thrown and interferes with a defensive player attempting a play, interference shall be called. The batter is out and runners return. (7.13, p 40)

194. A team has two players wearing headbands, four players wearing caps, and the remaining players not wearing any headgear.

Ruling - LEGAL; caps, visors and headbands may be mixed. Caps are optional; however, when worn they must be alike and worn with the bill forward. Plastic visors are prohibited. (2.8.A, p 11)

195. R1 attempts to steal second base on a pitch. F2 throws the ball to second base as the plate umpire calls ball four. The throw is in time and the base umpire calls R1 out. As R1 leaves for the dugout, the base umpire realizes that the batter has been walked and R1 is entitled to second base. The defense tags R1 after she leaves the base and before she can safely return.

Ruling - DEAD BALL, and R1 should be returned to second base since she was called out in error. The umpire shall rectify any situation in which his/her decision that was delayed or reversed placed either team in jeopardy (14.12.R, p 63)

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES:

Which actions are "automatic" ejections?

i) Profanity
ii) Deliberately throwing a bat or equipment
iii) Malicious contact
iv) Fighting
v) Leaving the bench to join a brawl
vi) Bringing a rules book (hard copy or electronic) on the field

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES:

196. R1 is on third base and R2 is on first base with one out. B4 hits a pitched ball above the infield. The infielder lets the batted ball fall to the ground. She fields the ball on the bounce and steps on second base ahead of R2, then throws the ball to first base in advance of B4 to complete the double play.

Ruling - LIVE BALL and a DOUBLE PLAY; no run scores since the third out on the batter-runner at first base is considered a force out. This is NOT a situation in which the intentionally dropped ball rule applies. The batter is not out if the infielder permits a fair fly ball, line drive or fair bunted ball in flight to drop untouched to the ground, except when the infield-fly rule applies (3.FORCE PLAY, p 21; 7.17.C NOTE, p 49)

197. R1 is on third base with one out. B3 hits a pitched ball on the ground toward F3 who fields the ball cleanly. F3 attempts to tag B3 who has stopped in the three-foot running lane. B3 steps backward toward home plate to avoid or delay F3's tag a) before, or b) after R1 touches home plate.

Ruling - DEAD BALL and the batter-runner is declared OUT. The batter-runner is out when she moves backward toward home plate TO AVOID OR DELAY BEING TAGGED OUT. The ball is dead and base runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the infraction. In a), R1 is returned to third base; in b) R1 scores (7.17.G, p 49)

198. A batted ball goes directly from the bat and a) touches the catcher's glove or hand and deflects into the catcher or her equipment, or b) deflects off the catcher and makes contact with the umpire. In both situations the ball is eventually held in the hand or glove of the catcher before it touches the ground.

Ruling - in a), LIVE BALL and a FOUL TIP; the batter is charged with a strike, and if it is strike three, she is out. A foul tip is a batted ball that goes directly and speedily from the bat to the catcher's mitt or hand and is legally caught by the catcher. In b), DEAD BALL and a FOUL BALL; the batter is charged with a strike unless she already has two strikes. A batted ball becomes dead immediately when, while over foul ground, it goes directly from the bat to the catcher's protector, mask or person without first touching the catcher's glove or hand (3.FOUL BALL.D, p 21; 3.FOUL TIP, p 22; 10.D.2, p 56)

199. On an intentional walk, the catcher stands with one foot completely outside the lines of the catcher's box before the ball is released by the pitcher.

Ruling - DELAYED DEAD BALL is signaled and an ILLEGAL PITCH is called. A catcher shall be inside the lines of the catcher's box and all other defensive players positioned in fair territory when the pitcher takes her position to pitch and when the pitch is released. For willful, intentional repeat violations committed to effect an intentional walk, the player and/or her coach may be warned or restricted to the bench/dugout area (6.2.A, p 36, 11.2.N, p 59)

Comment: if the catcher's infraction is noticed before the pitcher takes her position to pitch, then the plate umpire should hold up the pitcher and direct the catcher to correct the positioning of her feet

200. R1 is on first base with one out. R1 steals second base. Before the next pitch, it is discovered that B3 is using an altered or non-approved bat.

Ruling - DEAD BALL and the batter is declared OUT and the result of her at bat is negated; however, base runner advances because of a stolen base, wild pitch, or passed ball stand. The bat shall be removed from the team's possession. The batter and head coach are also ejected (7.14.A, p 40;11.2.K, p 58)

Aug 25, 2019
QUICKIE QUIZ: USSSA RULES

For the starting lineup, what four pieces of information are REQUIRED to be listed on the lineup card?

i) First name
ii) Last name
iii) Jersey number
iv) Defensive position offensive designation (DP, AP)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802