Batter and runners think it’s ball 4

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2019
NFHS rules
1 out with runners on 1st & 2nd. Count is 2-2 but has been a long at bat with several fouls. At some point the scoreboard operator accidentally puts up a 3rd ball. Next pitch is a ball, the batter and both runners start to advance as if it‘s a walk. The plate ump stops the batter after a couple steps toward 1st. The base coaches go to hold up the jogging baserunners but they are already in no man’s land so we yell for them to run/advance. The catcher attempts to throw out our slower runner going to 2nd, but she is safe. The coach of the team in the field claims that the batter tried to deceive his fielders by taking a step toward 1st and should be awarded an automatic strike, which would have led to a K. All 3 umps agree that it is just ball 3 and all runners stay advanced.
What is the correct ruling?
Sounds like the correct ruling to me.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Instead of a pitcher coming out and throwing five warm up pitches...
just have the defense on the field and start playing the next inning. No warm up pitches, no infield warm up throwing the ball around, just get into the next inning!! Batter up!
I like this after the first. Do pitchers really need to warm up between innings? Is it just something that's done because it's always been done.

I'd like to hear a pitcher's thoughts on this.

Jul 22, 2015
I like this after the first. Do pitchers really need to warm up between innings? Is it just something that's done because it's always been done.

I talked with my dd and all of our pitchers over the years, and after they were 15-16 y.o. almost none of them want 5 pitches between innings but all of them wanted 1 to 3. On hot days many of them just took 1 or 2.

May 27, 2022
I talked with my dd and all of our pitchers over the years, and after they were 15-16 y.o. almost none of them want 5 pitches between innings but all of them wanted 1 to 3. On hot days many of them just took 1 or 2.

I would agree with 1-3 pitches from what I see.
1. Have them take 1 or 2 pitches and call for ball in and be ready to go
2. In NFHS you only get 1 min. From what I see most teams only get 2-3 pitches in after they wander out there before the 1 minute is up any way
3. The rule allows for no more than 5 - let them take what they need in the time their allocated.

Jun 22, 2008
2. In NFHS you only get 1 min. From what I see most teams only get 2-3 pitches in after they wander out there before the 1 minute is up any way
3. The rule allows for no more than 5 - let them take what they need in the time their allocated.
USA, usssa, nfhs, TCS and I believe NSA all specify 1 minute between innings

Aug 1, 2019
MN
How can 10U Sally Risescrurvedrop get a practice pitch in for all eight pitches she throws?
Kidding. In 16s/18s my DD would only throw one or two between innings when she was good and warm.

Aug 25, 2019
USA, usssa, nfhs, TCS and I believe NSA i all specify 1 minute between innings
USA, usssa, nfhs, TCS and I believe NSA all specify 1 minute between innings
so the one minute is suppose to be from the last out to the batter in the box? I've never seen that happen (has anyone?). And as an umpire, I've never enforced it. Maybe I should do that next game, watch everyone go crazy. Then what's the penalty, ball on batter?

May 29, 2015
Yes, it is. Yes, I have. Yes, I try to. Yes, you should. Yes, it is.

I’ve said before and I’ll say again … that pace between innings is not about saving 20-30 seconds several times a game. Do it, teach it, enforce it, and it keeps the pace of the whole game up tempo.

Don’t do it and they will lollygag in, lollygag around, lollygag out, and just screw around moving slow in general.

Jun 22, 2008
so the one minute is suppose to be from the last out to the batter in the box? I've never seen that happen (has anyone?). And as an umpire, I've never enforced it. Maybe I should do that next game, watch everyone go crazy. Then what's the penalty, ball on batter?
Start enforcing it and you will quickly find out how much faster your games get done. And if you are playing a time limit game all the more reason to enforce it, they are paying to play softball, not putz around between innings. Just start announcing in your pregame the one minute between innings will be enforced so if they want warm up pitches they better hustle on and off the field. If you start counting to yourself you will find that if they hustle they can usually get about 3 pitches in.

Locally we used to have a rule of no huddling between the lines. On a forum a parent complained about the girls not being allowed to huddle at the circle after making an out and high fiving etc, "it only takes about 10 extra seconds". Ok so on a timed game you take 10 extra seconds times 3 outs every half inning times let's say they got 5 innings in before time limit, that is 5 more minutes of playing time that could have been used. Our area never used drop dead time limits, it was 1:20 complete the inning. 5 more minutes could easily be the start of a 6th inning.

Jun 16, 2022
Start enforcing it and you will quickly find out how much faster your games get done. And if you are playing a time limit game all the more reason to enforce it, they are paying to play softball, not putz around between innings. Just start announcing in your pregame the one minute between innings will be enforced so if they want warm up pitches they better hustle on and off the field. If you start counting to yourself you will find that if they hustle they can usually get about 3 pitches in.

Locally we used to have a rule of no huddling between the lines. On a forum a parent complained about the girls not being allowed to huddle at the circle after making an out and high fiving etc, "it only takes about 10 extra seconds". Ok so on a timed game you take 10 extra seconds times 3 outs every half inning times let's say they got 5 innings in before time limit, that is 5 more minutes of playing time that could have been used. Our area never used drop dead time limits, it was 1:20 complete the inning. 5 more minutes could easily be the start of a 6th inning.
They're not doing it or adding time after the third out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee