Player Conferences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2019
What difference does it make if the offensive coach called his players over during a defensive time out? If there were no runners and the catcher called time and then the coach came out later what do you have? It becomes a defensive conference. Having runners does not change that.
But according to what you have said and directly what has been posted as the rule reference this would not be a charged conference because the pitcher/catcher called time had a discussion and their coach joined them? How can you rule that charged conference if the rule book specifically defines it as to when a coach ask and granted. So, what is it are you going with the word-for-word definition of the book? But you can't be because you said its a charged conference when the coach joined their conference. Which is it, is a charged conference when only when a coach request the time or the a coach and player have a conference. What is good for the defense needs to be good for offense as well.

Is that wrong yes, of course it is a charged conference, why because it was a delay in the game for a coach to conference with their team. Why is it only a charged conference if the defense does it, but not if the offense calls their player over. Nobody has said they are restricted what we are saying is that a conference between a coach and player is charged or the face the penalties for it. If the player wants to go to the coach and give them a high five or get candy because they are on base then by all means go for it, no coaching was completed. It is charged when they give/receive the coaching or delay the game longer than the defensive conference. When a coach in high school does this, you have to be mindful of what is going on because it could or could not be a charged conference. In NCAA yes, they are restricted and to get/give a high five is a conference per rule.

By the way, Comp, I am still waiting on my answer on the situation presented earlier see below if you forgot. Unless the post I replied to was for that, but then why would a smart coach, there are many out there, who knows the offense is talking to their team so why can't I talk to mine, so long as there isn't an additional delay. And that coach might be watching from his car/bus because the argument, rightfully so, would be that the offensive coach should be charged a conference for talking to his players, because they know if they walked out to circle, they would be charged and then the offense can huddle, so why can't the opposite be true? And you would charge the defense even if the offense didn't huddle. Again, why is it for you when the defense huddles its charged even after the players confer, but when the offense does it is nothing? Does not seem to be a fair or consistent application of rules, which is what we umpire strive for during a game.

Want your honest call now, who would you charge a conference to if the situation happened F1/F2 conference, 3rd base coach calls over the runners from 2nd and 1st base to conference, once the catcher gets in the circle. After seeing this and the runners reach the coach, the defensive coach joins the F1/F2 conference. Who is charged a conference in this situation? The time-out was technically called by F2 or F1, so is either team charged a conference, even though both coaches are now involved? Would you charge the defense because their coach jumped in the discussion? The offensive coach called his players first 1st, so do they get charged?

Jun 22, 2008
Im done, you go right ahead and keep "interpreting" something the rules absolutely do not state. And they most certainly DO NOT state in any way shape or form that runners must remain in the vicinity of their bases or that a batter cannot leave the general area of the plate. I can assure you sooner or later you are going to run into a coach that knows better and is going to challenge you on your ruling. You have zero rule support for your interpretation. I would highly suggest you run it up the chain of command and request a ruling from NFHS.

I have lost track of how many rules were blown this year by "seasoned" officials. The 2 most memorable are numerous officials insisting a runner MUST slide on a double play attempt or it is an automatic out and another official that insisted only starters could reenter the game. He went so far as to insist the rule was universal amongst all rulesets and without even looking at his rulebook handed a copy to the AD and told him to tell me to look it up. I would have loved to been in on that conversation with his assignor.

Jan 30, 2019
In my post, I said they are not restricted, but I guess you missed that. "If the player wants to go to the coach and give them a high five or get candy because they are on base then by all means go for it." All I am trying to understand from your point of view is why if F1/F2 conference with each other and then their coach joins them it is charged. But when F1/F2 conference and the offensive coach joins their runners (brings them together) that is not charged, if the defense coach doesn't join the F1/F2 in the circle.

But since you are so keen on having the rule book word-for-word, then any high school coach in your area should always have the player call for the conference since that is what the book said, and they would never run out of conferences. The batter can go to the coach's box and talk with their coach every pitch, so long as the batter request the time.

You are saying 2 things in the thread on multiple occasions you have said the rulebook states ... and you follow that, but then in others you go against what the rulebook says and rule how 99% of the umpires would. Case in point F1/F2 having a discussion, coach join charged conference. Rule book clearly states 2.14: "A charged conference is when the coach or dugout/bench personnel requests and is granted a time-out to meet with offensive or defensive personnel."
What difference does it make if the offensive coach called his players over during a defensive time out? If there were no runners and the catcher called time and then the coach came out later what do you have? It becomes a defensive conference. Having runners does not change that.
So how can you rule that a charge conference has occurred when F1/F2 are having a discussion and 5 seconds later the coach approaches. Did the coach request time, nope.

Because that is how it is commonly ruled; a charge conference is when a coach and player delay the game for a discussion, unless exempted. So again, why it is only charged if the defensive coach joins their team, but not when the offensive coach joins theirs?

May 13, 2023
We're trying to run the clock out so no new argument can start. 😋
🤣 yes can see how important stopping the game to talk is. Then debating about whether or not it's a Charged conference because they needed to talk. And then talking more about the need to talk and whether or not they can talk again in the same inning. Holy mackerel!

May 29, 2015
🤣 yes can see how important stopping the game to talk is. Then debating about whether or not it's a Charged conference because they needed to talk. And then talking more about the need to talk and whether or not they can talk again in the same inning. Holy mackerel!

I'm sorry, Rad, I was tying my shoe. Can you repeat those signals again? Wait, my wristband is on upside down ...

Dec 15, 2018
CT
You've given me a million dollar idea...softball belt/fanny pack hybrid with a clear window slot for the play card. Zippered pouch to hold the elbow guard/shin guard/sliding mitt/etc.
Ok, maybe a ten dollar idea.

Pneumatic tube system running from dugout underground to 2nd base, that takes the elbow guard / delivers the oven mitt.

May 29, 2015
Im done, you go right ahead and keep "interpreting" something the rules absolutely do not state.

That is why we train as umpires. There is a whole lot of the game that is not directly stated and requires us to apply and interpret. The rule doesn’t explicitly support either position; in fact it has been pointed out that the instruction/interpretation being given is varying from state to state with NOBODY having provided any written support for their position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles