Illegal Pitch/Interference Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
Nearly had this happen in an indoor tournament a couple of weeks ago (thankful it didn't), but I've been curious as to the appropriate call for it IF it were to happen in the future:

USSSA rule set (but I'd also like the USA rule as well): R1 at 1st base, 0 outs. P throws an illegal pitch (cause is irrelevant) and an umpire (2-man crew) signals for it. The batter then hits the pitch to 2B, who charges to field it in the basepath. As she charges to the ball, R1 interferes with her fielding the ball and BU calls the interference.

My question: What is the appropriate call for this? Does the interference overrule the illegal pitch? Does the offensive team get a choice of the result or a ball on the batter since R1 never "safely" advanced 1 base? Just curious about what the case might be. Thanks! =)

Jan 23, 2021
An illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball. Unfortunately for the offensive team the Interference trumps the illegal pitch. The Interference is an immediate dead ball call so the runner is out and the batter/runner is placed at 1st base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 1, 2015
Unfortunately for the offensive team the Interference trumps the illegal pitch.

That's what I was thinking, similar to if a runner is obstructed between two bases, and the runner then interferes during the play, the interference takes priority over the obstruction. That being said, for some reason, it slipped my mind about the IP being a DDB and you wait out the end of the play (in this case, the interference).

Jun 20, 2015
I believe the Offense gets to choose ball on the batter or the result of the play on an illegal pitch.

Obviously, they would chose ball on batter. runners all return to bases, next pitch.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm going off NFHS rules here, but I can't imagine they're different for USSSA or USA:

The defense isn't going to benefit from the illegal pitch (unless the offense is dumb). The penalty for an illegal pitch is a ball. When the ball is hit, the offense has the option of accepting the result of the play or the penalty.

In this case, because there is interference, the result of the play is an out. So the offense would choose the penalty (ball).

May 29, 2015
An illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball. Unfortunately for the offensive team the Interference trumps the illegal pitch. The Interference is an immediate dead ball call so the runner is out and the batter/runner is placed at 1st base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incorrect. Interference does not negate an illegal pitch.

USSSA
Rule 6 PITCHING
Sec 3 ILLEGAL PITCH
An illegal pitch is a pitch that violates the pitching rule or is an effect for a rules violation. When an illegal pitch occurs, it shall be called immediately by the plate or base umpire. If an illegal pitch occurs but the pitch is not released, it is a dead ball. If the pitch is released, the umpire calls “illegal” loud enough nearby players to hear. Simultaneously, the Umpire gives the delayed dead-ball signal and waits to suspend play until the play has been completed. Failure of players to hear the call shall not void the call.

A. Effect: The pitch is declared a ball.
B. If the batter reaches first base safely and all other runners advance at least one base, the play stands, and the illegal pitch is canceled. No option is given.

C. If the batter does not reach first base safely or if any runner fails to advance at least one base, the coach of the offensive team has the option of taking the result of the play or accepting the effect for an illegal pitch.

Is there a case to be made to accept the play? Possibly. Maybe R1 was really slow and your batter has a history of hitting into double plays. Sacrifice the out and the slow runner to get a better runner and lower the chance of hitting into a double play. Not saying that is a good call or the right call, just that there is a case.

(The information about interference negating an obstruction call is correct though!)

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Incorrect. Interference does not negate an illegal pitch.

USSSA
Rule 6 PITCHING
Sec 3 ILLEGAL PITCH
An illegal pitch is a pitch that violates the pitching rule or is an effect for a rules violation. When an illegal pitch occurs, it shall be called immediately by the plate or base umpire. If an illegal pitch occurs but the pitch is not released, it is a dead ball. If the pitch is released, the umpire calls “illegal” loud enough nearby players to hear. Simultaneously, the Umpire gives the delayed dead-ball signal and waits to suspend play until the play has been completed. Failure of players to hear the call shall not void the call.

A. Effect: The pitch is declared a ball.
B. If the batter reaches first base safely and all other runners advance at least one base, the play stands, and the illegal pitch is canceled. No option is given.

C. If the batter does not reach first base safely or if any runner fails to advance at least one base, the coach of the offensive team has the option of taking the result of the play or accepting the effect for an illegal pitch.

Is there a case to be made to accept the play? Possibly. Maybe R1 was really slow and your batter has a history of hitting into double plays. Sacrifice the out and the slow runner to get a better runner and lower the chance of hitting into a double play. Not saying that is a good call or the right call, just that there is a case.

(The information about interference negating an obstruction call is correct though!)
Thank you…..glad to see someone had the correct ruling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802