small rant about "looking for players to fill team"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
I have one team right now in my organization (its new so we are in the process of building). I get tired of seeing ads saying "wanting players to fill out the 14U team (pitchers, catchers etc)" when the organization has 2 -3 teams at that level in the organization. Just a small rant and I know sometimes its about money but why cant u just have players from the other teams fill in?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have one team right now in my organization (its new so we are in the process of building). I get tired of seeing ads saying "wanting players to fill out the 14U team (pitchers, catchers etc)" when the organization has 2 -3 teams at that level in the organization. Just a small rant and I know sometimes its about money but why cant u just have players from the other teams fill in?

- Because all the teams will likely all play the same weekend
- Because the reason there is more than one team is that the the coaches of each team don't get along with the coaches of the other teams (which is why there is 2-3 teams)

We were in an org last year that had 2 teams in the same age division. I wouldn't have borrowed the other coach a player and frankly they wouldn't have dared ask.

To be fair - sometimes the multiple teams are age based - so all '02 or '03 or whatever.

And of course sometimes the reason is because they can. I actually haven't seen it been about money

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Coaches just aren't that easy to come by. And girls and their parents have picked the coach and visa versa, that they want to play for. It would be nice if an organization had 25 girls that they could mix and match, but i haven't ever seen it that way.

If a team has 3 pitchers and 2 catchers, then you can sometimes fill in and finish up a team, but if they are begging for pitchers, they have a difficult road.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
if the coaches don't get along then u need new coaches

Why? I have 'my team' and they have 'their team'. What is the problem with that? I wasn't required to interact with their coaches and that was a good thing. Just because we had the same logo on the shirt doesn't mean anything really.

The coaches on 'my team' all get along just fine.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Why? I have 'my team' and they have 'their team'. What is the problem with that? I wasn't required to interact with their coaches and that was a good thing. Just because we had the same logo on the shirt doesn't mean anything really.

The coaches on 'my team' all get along just fine.

Exactly, We have three teams in our age level within our organization. I feel it is ridiculous to have three. However, I am not in charge and that is a decision made above my head. I am hear to coach the girls God placed in my path this year. I am not hear to jeopardize that by having players injured while filling in for another. Especially another who may or may not hold the same values, strategies and core philosophies we do. All of which are reasons we have the players and families we do.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH

We have had players fill in as long as it didn't mess with eligibility rules. I've seen it happen for fall league, summer league, fall tournaments, summer tournaments and regional or national events. If it can happen and a player is available the coaches in the organization are cooperative. Sometimes you get schedule conflicts between the teams or logistics don't make it possible. If a team needs a permanent player I would think they'd rather advertise than just look for subs within.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
- Because all the teams will likely all play the same weekend
- Because the reason there is more than one team is that the the coaches of each team don't get along with the coaches of the other teams (which is why there is 2-3 teams)

We were in an org last year that had 2 teams in the same age division. I wouldn't have borrowed the other coach a player and frankly they wouldn't have dared ask.

To be fair - sometimes the multiple teams are age based - so all '02 or '03 or whatever.

And of course sometimes the reason is because they can. I actually haven't seen it been about money

Marriard, you forgot one other reason. Many teams will be playing in qualifiers for whatever alphabet soup organization such as ASA. If the sub players are rostered on another team, even within the same organization, should the team win a berth, they can be disqualified from the tourney and forfeit the berth if they are caught with unrostered players. Most coaches will not take that chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing