Recruiting questions - divisions/conferences/expectations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Funny you said this... We see so many girls posting "got home to find this in my mail, thank you <insert big d1 name here> for thinking of me". Are those really just mass mailings?
Most of them, yes. Can there be some pictures that are NOT mass mailings? Of course. Those pictures you see on social media seem to happen at various times on the calendar, times that correspond with the NCAA recruiting windows. There are times in the year when the coaches cannot recruit or talk to recruits.

Don't forget that there are 2 types of camps schools will have. The Open registration ones, which is basically a cattle call and is used to help subsidize the assistant coaches, who usually do not get bonuses the way HC's do. Many HC's will allow all camp proceeds to go to the Asst. coaches and the players that help. The other kinds of camps are the sneaky ones. This is where a school has identified 4-5 pitchers (for example) and will tell those 5 people when and where to look for the camp registration sign up. And they will put it in an obscure place that 99.99999999999% of the population will not see. This is done intentionally so that someone who is NOT among those 5 people won't see it or know to look for it. However, there are NCAA rules regarding camps and advertising. So, they will hide this camp from the general public, but those 5 ppl will be told when and where to look and sign up. It just goes to show that whatever rules NCAA put out, there's coaches who will find a way around it.

I wish you luck. Your DD is among the few that seems to value the education and sport equally. Usually one dominates the other in a kid's priorities. The important thing is for her to find a place she loves. The softball side should come a very very distant 2nd. There's no guarantee the coach will be there all 4 of her years but if she loves the school and where she's at, that won't matter as much to her as it may to someone else. We see kids following coaches who change jobs all the time.

Also, don't forget another option. I realize your DD probably loves playing softball and being on the field. But, there are other less demanding places in a softball program than being a player. A team manager for example goes to practices, hits grounders, fly balls, can catch bullpens, travel with the team, etc. etc. But, they also don't have to do a lot of other things that the players do like weights, team meetings, individual practices with position coaches, sports psych meetings, etc. While this idea here isn't a bad compromise: she's still involved with softball but in a less demanding way so she can focus on the books. That compromise comes at the expense of cutting her 4 years of playing short. Again, this is only food for thought.

However, a lot of people think college is where softball ends for these ladies. For most that's true. But there are opportunities to play ball in Europe (for example) which has the same summer season as USA. Then she could go down under for the winter season. All I'm saying is, with or without the 4 years of playing in college, softball does not have to be done for her.

Jan 20, 2023
When should kids reach out? If all of our local college coaches are milling about at high school state and it looks like your team is making a run at it- is it worth it for a Freshman starter to send an email introducing themselves and saying they are interested in the school ahead of the games? I’ve seen things that say wait til you have high school grades- but playing in the fall she will not.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When should kids reach out? If all of our local college coaches are milling about at high school state and it looks like your team is making a run at it- is it worth it for a Freshman starter to send an email introducing themselves and saying they are interested in the school ahead of the games? I’ve seen things that say wait til you have high school grades- but playing in the fall she will not.
There is nothing preventing your DD from emailing any coach. Gotta get her name out there. Earlier the better. Drip email marketing. Send emails on a regular basis updating the coaches on her progress. For those schools DD is targeting, make sure to fill out their online recruiting questionnaire, so she gets in their system.

Aug 9, 2021
We found the answers to your questions to be very school specific rather than division or conference specific. DD is interested in engineering and we found schools that were very accommodating and academically focused (e.g. priority class selection for athletes, practice/lab time coordinated, etc.) and schools that simply said "that major will not work with our program." This was at all levels, including D1.

I always recommend: 1) figure out what part of the country you want to live in (don't want to live in); 2) find schools in that area that have your expected field of study (knowing it may change) and rank them; 3) see if they have softball; 4) visit the schools; 5) move forward with softball recruiting process.

I would recommend attending a Headfirst camp if you are focused on high academic schools. I have no affiliation with them. My DD committed before attending one of their camps but we had a friend recently attend and she walked away with one offer and several invites to excellent schools, and committed to one of them within weeks of attending.

I've seen quite a few examples of young woman turning down a good school with a good package because they are focused on division rather than schools...mainly the focus on playing D1 and only D1. Frankly, I think it's usually the parents that are the problem in this regard.

Last observation...I know of several individuals that received better overall packages at D3 and NAIA schools than they were offered at bigger programs.

YMMV

Good luck!

Jun 29, 2023
Missouri S&T is a great academic school at the D-II level.

https://www.mst.edu/

I agree 100%, I'm not sure why they were so low on that link posted. Unfortunately, my kid was there for a summer basketball tournament and I asked her if she wanted to walk over to look at the softball field. We got to the baseball field and she basically said, if this is the baseball field, I don't need to see the softball field.

Apr 26, 2019
Most of them, yes. Can there be some pictures that are NOT mass mailings? Of course. Those pictures you see on social media seem to happen at various times on the calendar, times that correspond with the NCAA recruiting windows. There are times in the year when the coaches cannot recruit or talk to recruits.

Don't forget that there are 2 types of camps schools will have. The Open registration ones, which is basically a cattle call and is used to help subsidize the assistant coaches, who usually do not get bonuses the way HC's do. Many HC's will allow all camp proceeds to go to the Asst. coaches and the players that help. The other kinds of camps are the sneaky ones. This is where a school has identified 4-5 pitchers (for example) and will tell those 5 people when and where to look for the camp registration sign up. And they will put it in an obscure place that 99.99999999999% of the population will not see. This is done intentionally so that someone who is NOT among those 5 people won't see it or know to look for it. However, there are NCAA rules regarding camps and advertising. So, they will hide this camp from the general public, but those 5 ppl will be told when and where to look and sign up. It just goes to show that whatever rules NCAA put out, there's coaches who will find a way around it.

I wish you luck. Your DD is among the few that seems to value the education and sport equally. Usually one dominates the other in a kid's priorities. The important thing is for her to find a place she loves. The softball side should come a very very distant 2nd. There's no guarantee the coach will be there all 4 of her years but if she loves the school and where she's at, that won't matter as much to her as it may to someone else. We see kids following coaches who change jobs all the time.

Also, don't forget another option. I realize your DD probably loves playing softball and being on the field. But, there are other less demanding places in a softball program than being a player. A team manager for example goes to practices, hits grounders, fly balls, can catch bullpens, travel with the team, etc. etc. But, they also don't have to do a lot of other things that the players do like weights, team meetings, individual practices with position coaches, sports psych meetings, etc. While this idea here isn't a bad compromise: she's still involved with softball but in a less demanding way so she can focus on the books. That compromise comes at the expense of cutting her 4 years of playing short. Again, this is only food for thought.

However, a lot of people think college is where softball ends for these ladies. For most that's true. But there are opportunities to play ball in Europe (for example) which has the same summer season as USA. Then she could go down under for the winter season. All I'm saying is, with or without the 4 years of playing in college, softball does not have to be done for her.
Japan is supposed to be a place a woman can make a decent wage playing ball. However, I don't know the months for their season.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I agree 100%, I'm not sure why they were so low on that link posted. Unfortunately, my kid was there for a summer basketball tournament and I asked her if she wanted to walk over to look at the softball field. We got to the baseball field and she basically said, if this is the baseball field, I don't need to see the softball field.
The softball field is not the nicest field in the GLVC. I have sent a few players there and they have changed coaches a few times. For those players, an education was more important so softball was icing on the cake. The GLVC is an outstanding D-II conference.

Jun 29, 2023
The softball field is not the nicest field in the GLVC. I have sent a few players there and they have changed coaches a few times. For those players, an education was more important so softball was icing on the cake. The GLVC is an outstanding D-II conference.
Oh I get you, my kid is a 14 year old field snob. She says the same thing about Slu. For the money MO S&T is the best bargain in the state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805