Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2023
What I would like to see is a true WCWS: the D1, D2, D3, and NAIA National Champions play a tournament to determine the true National Champion!
Each team plays the other three, then the 1 seed plays the 4 and 2 vs 3 in single elimination. The winners playing for Championship and losers play for third.
I believe the D1 Chsmps would not always win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrestling used to let D2 and D3 individual champs compete in the D1 championships. Then a D2 kid won three straight D1 championships and they stopped it in 1990.

But a lot easier as an individual than a team.

May 3, 2023
Even decent D1 schools are no match for top 20 D1 programs. I remember going to see Florida play an early season tournament at USF in 2023. This was not a very good Florida team. They played Illinois State, Boston College and Boston U. Run rule. Run rule. Run rule. The pitchers for those teams were equivalent to local 18U tournament pitchers. And I think Boston U won 50 that year and made the NCAA tournament as a conference champion.

You’ve got to remember those northern teams were probably playing their first games on an actual field during that tournament.
Northern teams contend with something Florida doesn’t: SNOW!
Yes there are Domes but it’s still not the same as an open air field.
Maybe that tournament should be in late April.

Oct 14, 2019
You’ve got to remember those northern teams were probably playing their first games on an actual field during that tournament.
Northern teams contend with something Florida doesn’t: SNOW!
Yes there are Domes but it’s still not the same as an open air field.
Maybe that tournament should be in late April.

Nice theory. Pretty sure Blacksburg gets a ton of snow.

Attachments

• IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 18
May 3, 2023
Nice theory. Pretty sure Blacksburg gets a ton of snow.

Usually New England teams when they go south during spring break, it’s their first game of the season. While southern teams may have played several games already.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Usually New England teams when they go south during spring break, it’s their first game of the season. While southern teams may have played several games already.

NCAA scheduling in the spring doesn't allow that. For example, Boston University played the Frank Griffin Classic in Deland, Florida, on 2/9/24. They played their first 24 games down south before their first home game in Boston on 3/19/24.

FSU played a similar schedule in several invitational events. Their first regular game wasn't until 3/12/24. By that time, they had played 21 games.

Oct 14, 2019

Boston University was eliminated by Virginia Tech in the NCAA Tournament. On May 20. Run ruled. After a 50 win season. Virginia Tech gets more than its share of snow. Snow was not a factor. Skill and better players were factors. And Boston U would run rule any D3 it played.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Boston University was eliminated by Virginia Tech in the NCAA Tournament. On May 20. Run ruled. After a 50 win season. Virginia Tech gets more than its share of snow. Snow was not a factor. Skill and better players were factors. And Boston U would run rule any D3 it played.
DD was communicated with BU back in the day. Once we started doing the math, they were marked off the list. Her 16U TB coach was a former Terrier Captain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coachtomri