Question: How do you beat a good pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The problem with the bunt strategy is the assumption that rec players who are overmatched by 50 mph pitcher can simply decide to lay down one good bunt after another against this same pitcher. It's worth a try, but how well can they bunt? How much have they practiced it? If you think she's a great pitcher now, wait until she gets ahead 0-1 and 0-2 in the count because of feeble attempts at bunting. If you bunt, it's important that they do not chase bad pitches. Inexperienced bunters are very prone to doing this.

The other advice that I'd share is to take more chances on the bases, especially w/ 2 outs. If you don't expect to get many hits, then you have to find other ways to advance base-runners. One of the biggest mistakes in rec ball (or any high-scoring game) is being too aggressive on the bases because the defense or the pitcher usually gives you the extra base if you're just patient. But against a dominant pitcher, you might need to go for it. What you don't want to happen is to have a ground ball move a runner from 2nd to 3rd for the second out when she could have been at third and scored on that grounder. Your base-runners have to take advantage of every misstep by their defense.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree with small ball until the d starts to defend it well... if their corners are crashing every pitch then mix in a full cut every so often. Even if your kids swing and miss, that fear of getting drilled will freeze the corners on the next pitch.

Dec 7, 2011
Agree with the small-ball strategy - go after it hard. If they defend it then just tip your hat to them.

Next strategy I have seen work is by getting into the head of the other pitcher. Batters delaying at the plate, calling time, etc.

Some might say the latter is not good sportsmanship but I say since it's allowed in the highest level of the game then get it into this level. That pitcher needs to learn to tune out all the flack just like any other pitcher that has dreams.

But I have seen many a "great" pitcher stumble a bit when things do not go their way (great pitchers are used to things going their way).

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Get it in your head to use this game as a learning experience. Having 6 girls just moving up from coach pitch, now facing a kid that throws 50.... well let's be honest, they will be overmatched.

Feb 7, 2013
Get it in your head to use this game as a learning experience. Having 6 girls just moving up from coach pitch, now facing a kid that throws 50.... well let's be honest, they will be overmatched.

I think you have it correct. Most 10U rec teams only have 3 or 4 solid hitters, 5 or 6 with only a couple of seasons experience, and 2 or 3 that have never played the game before. One of the reasons I advocate having 8U kid pitch so they get the opportunity to face live pitching for two years before they move up to 10U.

In the batting cages, turn up the machine speed to 50mph so the players get used to seeing the speed and do a lot of front toss from 25 feet from behind a screen. Practice both swing away and bunts.

I personally don't like the strategy to bunt ever time because 10U is a time for players to develop their swing mechanics, not just get a bunt down to win a game.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The last time I coached rec 10U, we won a championship vs a previously undefeated pitcher.
At this level of play, I taught my best players how to bunt and we stole....alot-every baserunner.
It puts indo pressure on the defense and especially the catcher. Unless the catcher is an absolute stud,
there will be plenty of throwing/fielding errors. The more the defense is forced to throw and catch the
more runs you will score.

It is only rec, but for some of those kids, winning the championship carries a lot of meaning. I only did this during the
championship, as it made the other coach ''uncomfortable' I did it for the girls. The win only counts in the playoffs,
we developed the girls all year on the right way to play the game. I caught some flak for it, but if you ask a 10U girl if she would
want to win the city trophy by bunting instead of getting mowed down and finishing second, we all know what the answer is

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) To beat a great pitcher, you better have a pretty good pitcher of your own.
2) Play great defense.
3) Be aggressive on the base paths.
4) Your team must be able to bunt...when you get that runner on 3rd, you have to get her in. I'm not sure you have to play 100% small ball, but you aren't going to get many opportunities to score runs. So, when you do, you have to capitalize.

(Don't get me going...my DD in college was pitching against Central Michigan in the conference championship tournament back when CM was really good...It was 1-1 in the bottom of the 11th and my DD's team had a runners at 2B and 3B with nobody out, and they couldn't get her home. My DD gave up 4 in the top of the 12th, and that was that.)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
If it's 10U rec more runs are scored by errors than hits.
The same is true in 10u travel. At 10u, the strong pitchers have a huge advantage over the hitters, regardless of whether we're talking rec or TB.

If I know a team can't hit my pitcher, I'm playing my corners up and that batter won't get 3 steps out of the box before the ball is at first when they bunt. Small ball is only effective if it's unexpected IMO.
And what if she slaps it instead?

Small ball is effective when it's executed properly, which means the offense is keeping the pressure on the defense. The element of surprise can help, but is not required for a team to have success with it. Leadoff slaps and gets to 1B. She steals 2B on your pitcher's 1-1 changeup. Next batter moves her over with a sac bunt. She then scores on a pop fly to short RF.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl