Posing the question about the purpose of playing college softball….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
They will spend time researching and a football coach but they are looking for in most other cases is a “scandal free” coach. Get ‘er done and worry about football.
Taken from https://www.espn.com/college-sports...ma-softball-secrets-most-dominant-team-sports

"But by the time Oklahoma administrators handed Gasso the keys to the program before the 1995 season, they offered her a verbal pat on the back -- "Here's your budget; good luck!" -- and a mandate to let them know how it all panned out. "It was like, 'We're not going to keep up with you,'" she says. "'We've got to worry about the football.'"

Granted that was 27 years ago, and OU football is a bigger deal than most (just ask the locals..:rolleyes: ) but I am sure many programs are still like that..

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Taken from https://www.espn.com/college-sports...ma-softball-secrets-most-dominant-team-sports

"But by the time Oklahoma administrators handed Gasso the keys to the program before the 1995 season, they offered her a verbal pat on the back -- "Here's your budget; good luck!" -- and a mandate to let them know how it all panned out. "It was like, 'We're not going to keep up with you,'" she says. "'We've got to worry about the football.'"

Granted that was 27 years ago but I am sure many programs are still like that..
I think things are changing but it’s going to take another 27 years for most of us to see that change, lol!

Dec 11, 2010
I got kind of sidetracked.

I‘d like to give my take on OP’s original post but it wont be until tomorrow.

May 16, 2016
A good question to ask is what's going on at Bama to cause a mass exodus?

Of the 6 Bama players in the portal, 3 are Juniors, who play, but getting about half (or less) the reps of the starter. The Freshman play a lot, but may see 3 more years of Seniors coming back for a 5th season, and may be looking for a spot where they don't have to share reps.

Kilfoyl
80​
IPJR
Goodnight
139​
ABFR
Doerr
97​
ABJR
Lord
90​
ABFR
Bloodworth
106​
ABFR
Woodard
55​
ABJR

Oct 23, 2019
Also know of softball players who used softball to get into the college and once they were in, decided not to play.

*Those were academic scholarships that were awarded to those students.
That had a standard of GPA to continue getting their academic money.

Did they intend to do it that way by using softball to get into the College knowing they didn't want to actually play? Only they know.

This is actually my goal for my DDs. I'm hoping softball will give them some sort of edge in getting into the school of their choice. If it's their goal to actually play an inning of college softball, that's up to them.

Feb 7, 2014
But, I am in my home office and she is in the living room on her Zoom call with her Summer Intern boss and colleagues learning about real world business finance stuff. She got an internship at https://www.daikin.com/ Her boss said that she interviewed a lot of people, and she chose DD because she asked lots of questions and knew how to hold a conversation. You know where she learned that???? Softball Camps!!!! No lie. She had to learn how to talk to adults, ask questions and keep a conversation going with coaches. I thank Softball for that.

Tell her to give me a call! I get grilled everyday because it's too hot 🥵 / too cold at work 🥶- "put on a sweater!" 😁

May 27, 2013
I absolutely agree that softball has opened doors for dd. She got her internship this summer because a few weeks ago the CEO of a medical practice was looking for an intern and he remembered reading about my dd when she was interviewed by the local newspaper a year ago. She had mentioned in the article what she was hoping her career would be after college and he reached out asking if she’d like to be an intern. If she wasn’t interviewed by the paper for softball, this never would have been an opportunity for her.

May 27, 2013
Also know of softball players who used softball to get into the college and once they were in, decided not to play.

*Those were academic scholarships that were awarded to those students.
That had a standard of GPA to continue getting their academic money.

Did they intend to do it that way by using softball to get into the College knowing they didn't want to actually play? Only they know.

Softball definitely helped dd get into her school which may not have been an option if not for softball. Unfortunately there is no academic money at this school but she still intends to play all 4 years.

Oct 4, 2018
To me, it’s all about obtaining an education to increase one’s chances of being able to have a good career to support oneself for the rest of their life.

Very few 18 years old are mature enough to think this way.

As wise, older adults, we can see that one should pick a college to play ball for that:

1. Provides the best education
2. Provides the best education
3. Provides the best education
4. Lets you play ball
5. Is fun

May 27, 2013
Yep all sorts of influences!

Even know athletes who only went to college because they have the opportunity to play softball there and otherwise probably wouldn't have went to college if they didn't play a sport.

Just curious - what did they wind up doing post-college?

ETA: I also realize that many people make a great living who never went to college; however, I’m asking this question as it relates to choosing to go to college for SB as the priority.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13