Posing the question about the purpose of playing college softball….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
I knew a senior engineer taking freshmen chem at Cornell because he needed the credits and it was easy. Meanwhile, most freshmen were initially quite scared by freshman chem.

Jun 8, 2016
I knew a senior engineer taking freshmen chem at Cornell because he needed the credits and it was easy. Meanwhile, most freshmen were initially quite scared by freshman chem.
Odd..typically you need to take chem in your freshmen year with many Engineering majors. Might have been Electrical or Civil I guess.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I don't recall the exact circumstances or exactly what type of engineer he was.
Most difficult professor (grading wise) I ever had was in Chem. Guy was known to usually only give out 4 or 5 A's in a class of 100. They used that class as a weed out for Pre Meds at Tufts. I was right on cusp of an A going into the final and thought I rocked it but ended up with a B+ (back in those days you never knew what you got on your finals unless you went back to get them)..Best friend (and now brother-in-law) got an A but the bastard always got an A..:ROFLMAO:

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Most difficult professor (grading wise) I ever had was in Chem. Guy was known to usually only give out 4 or 5 A's in a class of 100. They used that class as a weed out for Pre Meds at Tufts. I was right on cusp of an A going into the final and thought I rocked it but ended up with a B+ (back in those days you never knew what you got on your finals unless you went back to get them)..Best friend (and now brother-in-law) got an A but the bastard always got an A..:ROFLMAO:
At my engineering school in CO, the weed out class was Physics II.. Ugh, still get nightmares from thinking about it. Same type of deal. I wonder if the school says to the professors of weed out classes, "make them suffer!!"

Jun 8, 2016
At my engineering school in CO, the weed out class was Physics II.. Ugh, still get nightmares from thinking about it. Same type of deal. I wonder if the school says to the professors of weed out classes, "make them suffer!!"
We didn't have a weed out class that I can remember for Engineering. If Physics II was Electricity and Magnetism I didn't like that class either..lol.

Jul 5, 2016
I think most professors have been encouraged to be kinder and gentler. I don't know that the engineering orientation (look to your right, look to your left, one of you won't be here at the end of the year) of 40 years ago is still in fashion.

Jun 8, 2016
I think most professors have been encouraged to be kinder and gentler. I don't know that the engineering orientation (look to your right, look to your left, one of you won't be here at the end of the year) of 40 years ago is still in fashing.
Yes, retention is a huge deal now. Our Engineering college just received 5 million dollars from the State with the intent of graduating 200 more Engineers a year..which basically means that our Dept. enrollment management plan we have in place to keep the student/faculty ratio manageable is now persona non grata so anybody with a pulse will be able to continue through the system..

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think most professors have been encouraged to be kinder and gentler. I don't know that the engineering orientation (look to your right, look to your left, one of you won't be here at the end of the year) of 40 years ago is still in fashion.
I graduated with a Mechanical ENG degree in 1997, so yeah a little long in the tooth for sure. But the drop out rate was CRAZY fresh to soph year. Then again, total undergrad was 3500 students (CO Sch of Mines).

There was a lot of growing up that 2nd semester for me! I hope to a certain degree that today's students still get a gut check from a class or curriculum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand