Posing the question about the purpose of playing college softball….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
We'll probably never know the true motivations behind transfer decisions, but I can't help but think it's probably way more related to escaping the current atmosphere/culture for those athletes. Yes, there will be athletes who are looking to move up the competitive ladder by entering the portal but it seems that the majority are making lateral moves...

It's a fairly well known fact in the HR world that the number one reason people leave their job is because the boss (or work) sucks.

Yes, plenty of other reasons, and lately "higher pay" is climbing the ranks. And "shorter commute" always comes in the top 5.

I'm guessing many are leaving because something about the coach or program sucks.

May 27, 2013
Very few 18 years old are mature enough to think this way.

As wise, older adults, we can see that one should pick a college to play ball for that:

1. Provides the best education
2. Provides the best education
3. Provides the best education
4. Lets you play ball
5. Is fun

Agree, however at age 17 I was told by the coach recruiting me I couldn’t play on her team if I wanted to be a nursing major. I decided to give up SB at that point - and believe me, it was an extremely difficult decision because I am just about as competitive as they come and SB was my passion! However, I also wanted to get a good job that payed well right out of school so I could move out of my house. I knew SB couldn’t provide that for me at the time.

ETA: I also did not have any parental influence in this decision as neither had gone to college so they didn’t have much input. They left the decision up to me.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Very few 18 years old are mature enough to think this way.

As wise, older adults, we can see that one should pick a college to play ball for that:

1. Provides the best education
2. Provides the best education
3. Provides the best education
4. Lets you play ball
5. Is fun

- keeping in mind that there are a very large number of colleges that provide a good education for motivated students and that a capable but unmotivated student can waste 4 years of time and money at, say, Harvard. In my more cynical moments, I think that the benefit of an Ivy League school is that the least you have to do to graduate is considerably above the minimum you have to do at less demanding schools.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I absolutely agree that softball has opened doors for dd. She got her internship this summer because a few weeks ago the CEO of a medical practice was looking for an intern and he remembered reading about my dd when she was interviewed by the local newspaper a year ago. She had mentioned in the article what she was hoping her career would be after college and he reached out asking if she’d like to be an intern. If she wasn’t interviewed by the paper for softball, this never would have been an opportunity for her.
I totally forgot to mention. The head of finance that DD interviewed with has a kid playing softball at UN Greensboro!!! Did it play a roll...sure!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It's a fairly well known fact in the HR world that the number one reason people leave their job is because the boss (or work) sucks.

Yes, plenty of other reasons, and lately "higher pay" is climbing the ranks. And "shorter commute" always comes in the top 5.

I'm guessing many are leaving because something about the coach or program sucks.
Yup. My wife works in HR. She was let go during Covid and picked up at another company. Took 30% cut in pay but her boss said she is over qualified and will advance very quickly. Well that didn't happened then he turned into an non communicative A$$hole. It was a 30 commute. She found another job 10 minutes with 3 day work from home with 20% pay raise. And she enjoys the ppl she works with.

Oct 4, 2018
- keeping in mind that there are a very large number of colleges that provide a good education for motivated students and that a capable but unmotivated student can waste 4 years of time and money at, say, Harvard. In my more cynical moments, I think that the benefit of an Ivy League school is that the least you have to do to graduate is considerably above the minimum you have to do at less demanding schools.

Yeah, I went to a pretty good business school and they never fail anyone. I still joke (with truth) that the hardest part of my graduate school was getting in.

... and I think we've all seen that our kids who play sports often do better in school. Better at time management, more goal oriented in some cases, etc.

Jul 5, 2016
Yeah, I went to a pretty good business school and they never fail anyone. I still joke (with truth) that the hardest part of my graduate school was getting in.

... and I think we've all seen that our kids who play sports often do better in school. Better at time management, more goal oriented in some cases, etc.

That's because they are like that to begin with otherwise they couldn't stomach the grind of college sports.

I believe in the saying that "sports don't build character, they reveal it". I think this is more true than not.

Jun 8, 2016
I sucked at time management and to some extent still do (but with kids have gotten better) mainly because I suck at having any balance in my life..It is hard to two things 150% and still get any sleep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand