If it wasn't for the possibility of playing softball in college...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If it wasn't for the possibility of playing softball in college...
How many people would be spending the money they are to play travel ball?
Ask this question recognizing that there are a lot of people who play travel ball who will never play in college.

Yet the fact that softball in college can be a goal influences many.

If College sports did not exist would you still be in travel ball?

Simply if college sports did not exist, travel ball would not be set up the same. There would be no showcasing there would be no future goal at all.

So what do you think?...the fact that players can possibly play softball in college
1. How much does that influence you?
And
2. How much does it influence softball as a giant sport?

Aug 18, 2018
1. Not much influence. It's about her developing and improving her work ethic, gaining success, managing hardships, overcoming difficulties. Having fun, giving her an outlet to be an athlete in a sport she enjoys are large factors.
2. I'm sure this would decrease the sport and any sport really. I can just imagine how many people get kids into sports thinking college scholarship.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
My daughter would’ve been happy playing rec if the competition was decent. She does not enjoy playing anything, even board games, with people who don’t take it seriously. Another coach asked her if she wanted to play in college in just random conversation and she laughed and said “I am just trying to make the starting lineup for my middle school team right now”. Parents are the ones who make it about college whether they admit it or not.

May 27, 2013
The initial goal for my dd when she joined a TB team was to help her become competitive enough to make her HS team. There was no thought of it paving the way to college ball for her. She started “travel-lite” with her LL all-star team at 10U and moved to “real” TB at 13U. Didn’t consider the college ball possibilities until 2nd year 14U when she moved to a true showcase team.

She enjoyed playing against better competition and being challenged. I liked the life lessons she got out of it. She would have continued with TB if she wanted to be recruited or not. She would probably have played for a TB team more local that did less travel if college recruiting didn’t become a thing for her. In the end, it opened doors for her.

There was a point where I would laugh when people told me dd should consider playing in college.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When DD started playing travel, college was a very distant thought. It wasn't until she reached high school that she considered the real possibility of playing in college. The only decision that was impacted by the college dream was her switch from her original travel team to one with a more aggressive schedule with much more travel at 16u. At that point she was very interested in playing in college and believed that the move would put her in a better position. She was right... From my perspective, I preferred the higher level of competition with or without the college choice. Things worked out well and none of us have any regrets. The truth is, I miss travel ball...

Feb 24, 2022
Given the fact that exponentially more girls play on local travel teams than play on Super Elite Gold National teams, I don't think it's that big of a factor. Assuming you have any level of objectivity, most girls you see at a local/state/regional level are going to end up playing D2, D3, NIAL, JUCO...IF they make it that far. The scholarship money/opportunities at that level are very different, and shouldn't be a driving factor. Many girls could probably do quite well focusing on academic scholarships at D1/D2 schools as opposed to pursuing softball as a means to an end. IMHO, the girls do it because they love playing, and they love the competition, and parents support the girls because of the love of their kids and desire to give them the best they can. We're a pretty competitive 13U regional level team, and I haven't heard 1 parent talk about scholarships (yet). I'm sure that time will come, but I view that more as the outcome of all of the years of travel ball, not the reason that you start.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Around 2 or 3 % of HS Athletes ever go on to play a D1 sport where they may or may not get some scholarship money ... Around 7 % ever go on to play at any level in college. My DD's learned how to split wood by hand even though when they grew up they may not have a wood stove or they could have a log splitter.

It's the journey, not the destination.

Oct 4, 2018
We're in it 100% for the fun. Which can be boiled down further to "team camaraderie, challenge, pride, winning, competition".

I am still a bit more on the side to wanting her not to play in college, if she's even good enough to get that opportunity.

Aug 6, 2013
1. When we moved to VA freshman year for Haley we chose the best team in a reasonable geographical area where she wouldn't be "the best" player and would continue to compete, excel, get stronger, be pushed out of her comfort zone and play the best talent she could. Yes the team "traveled" more than her previous team in KC - only because IMO it was easier to find good quality teams and tournaments in KC (and close geographical area) vs VA. Of course that's my opinion only but we find ourselves traveling to get to where we play the best talent. Yes we fly to IDT and yes we flew to PGF in CA. We also head south to FL and up to NJ. We rarely stay in VA. College recruiting wasn't our goal when she joined. Honestly that travel is our family vacations, lol. If we didn't do those trips I might never get to CA, lol. Did the investment pay off? Yeah I think so - her scholarship is very helpful but it paid off more so in Haley's growth. Playing against the best talent possible has made her the best player she can be.

2. It does influence it as a sport of course. Where the coaches go to watch is where the teams want to be. It's a vicious circle though because coaches will go to where most of the teams are so all the teams flock to those tournaments.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee