If it wasn't for the possibility of playing softball in college...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Travel ball as we know it today started in the same brink of years where women were starting to be awarded scholarships!
Title IX.

Don’t ever forget that the government had to make the bastards do the right thing. From high schools to colleges.

Jun 8, 2016
Don’t ever forget that the government had to make the bastards do the right thing.
AIiCPTA.gif

😂

May 10, 2019
All I can say is I've had the opportunity to spend way more quality time with both of my daughters than most other parents can dream of, and that's because of softball. My kids don't drink, don't take drugs, are good students, treat people with respect, and are a lot of fun to be around. I wouldn't trade this time with them for all the money in the world.
THIS. The quality time I get with my daughter who plays softball is priceless.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
All I can say is I've had the opportunity to spend way more quality time with both of my daughters than most other parents can dream of, and that's because of softball. My kids don't drink, don't take drugs, are good students, treat people with respect, and are a lot of fun to be around. I wouldn't trade this time with them for all the money in the world.
Def this - DD is enlisting after HS and I thought I was going to get one more spring of her playing TB before she graduated. She decided not to play TB in the spring and it's been hard dealing with it. Another SB mom said - you knew SB would end but didn't expect to it end so abruptly and I think that's why it's worse. I did GC for all of her teams so I went to every game/tournament - was always the one who travelled so my husband could take care of our dogs. It was a good way to spend time with her.

My other daughter did All-Star cheer for a few years and that had a lot of travel/practices (expensive too) and luckily her schedule never really interfered with my SB DD.

It's amazing what we'll pay to be able to watch our kids do stuff they love :)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Whenever we would go to a tournament and my daughter would have to miss a party, school event, or some other thing teenagers would do, she would always listen to a certain song. The song in question is "This Is The Life" by Dream Theater. The main line in the chorus is, "This is the life we belong to, a gift divine." It was her way of saying this is her path, and she's okay with everything that comes with it.

I am so proud of that kid.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
DD played with a lot of kids who went to smaller schools with the idea of getting to play sooner rather than later and still did not see the field as freshmen or sophomores.

These were not marginal players either.

Playing time has little to do with how good you are or how hard you work. It can be a mystery.

DD played with an exceptional athlete among exceptional athletes. Exceptional student. Exceptional person. A true leader. She won *many* big games with home runs and extra base hits when it looked like we were taking the “L”. The coaches decided her senior year, during the heat of the season, to not start her. Her stats were among the best in “one of those“ conferences. They would almost grudgingly put her in later in the game and she would dutifully win the game for us. These are not bozo coaches either. I’m sure they had reasons (that I did not agree with), but they are the ones making big salaries and driving program cars.

Don’t think for a minute that you can predict what level your dd will always play… She will have to be very good AND she will have to have Luck on her side. Thats at any level you care to look at.

That’s Lucky. Capital “L”.
That is hard to read. It sounds like this young lady really got the short end of the stick. Coaches can be terrible people in some cases. Coaches can also be a someone that people look up to.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Coaches can be terrible people in some cases. Coaches can also be a someone that people look up to.
Sooo much truth in these two simple sentences! Two of Anna's past coaches.....one male coach that I have so much respect for there's nothing I wouldn't do for the guy if he called me in need!

The other :mad:, a female coach.....if she was on fire I'd literally beat the brakes off of anyone trying to put the fire out!! I despise this woman, she was a demon, and being a demon is what drove her and made her happy! Besides my older mean sister, this is the only other woman I've ever wanted to punch in the face! Eventually this dumbass did her own self in but not until she made a lot of people miserable!

She's really the only mistake our organization president made the entire time we played there, and I've let him know about it multiple times!

So @Gambler Bob, your comment is 100% true! Hope no one here judges me for the "punch in the face" comment, but if you knew her or was around her any length of time you'd understand, I'm getting mad just writing this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812